Ghost Or Cherry Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by JamieXPXP, Aug 2, 2017.

1. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

ive been thinking of getting some shrimp to go into my 5gal tank with my betta. im stuck between ghost and cherry. which do you guys recommend? i have a few plants although im going to get some anubis or however you spell it and maybe hornwort depending on what they have when i go. and what should i feed the shrimps?

2. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Ghost shrimp... Cheaper if your betta chooses to eat them and not as flashy, much more likely to fly under the bettas radar.

Shrimp pellets, algae pellets (just remove them after an hour or so) and do not over feed. Shrimp are scavengers and will find most their food through algae, biofilm and left over food. Shrimp are also completely intolerant of Ammonia and nitrIte so be sure that your tank is fully Cycled and established before getting shrimp. Established means up and cycled for a couple months minimum.

3. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

You're gonna need some chola wood and any type of moss. Java ferns are also an undemanding and tall giving the shrimps more cover. RCS are easier to breed and with enough hiding places you can get a colony going in the 5 gallon. RCS are more expensive than Ghosts and you can not mix RCS from seperate tanks/stores since different colors makes the babies revert to the natural wild coloring, and shrimps from outside sources could have different genes than yours which could eventually mean reverting to the wild type.
    Baby ghost shrimp float in the water column which means most won't survive with a betta and even water changes, if you were planning on raising those. If not then ghost shrimps are bigger than cherries if you wanted size. Both will get chased and harassed by a hungry betta but if he eats them all is up to his temperament and feeding.
    They will eat any algae wafer and sinking pellet and RCS eat natural algae from the tank; your betta might try to steal all of their food if you put it out in the open so throw it into their jungle if he actually does that

4. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

ive got a moss ball and two java ferns right now although they arent very big yet. i wasnt really planing on raising the shrimp although i wont complain too much if they do breed since i wont have to worry about replacing too soon lol. my betta is great with snails so i wanted to see how it goes with shrimp since i find them both cute and interesting creatures.

5. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

Ghost shrimp have a few issues... first they die quickly, they are mostly meant to be feeders so they are of poor quality.
    Ghost will not span in fresh water they need a algae rich water for the larva... not worth the effort IMO.
    Now RCS, your biggest problem is the Betta will more then likely eat them and at 3-4 dollars a shrimp it's an expensive lesson.
    IMO, shrimp have to be kept with a fish that is too small to eat them. Or you need larger shrimp. If your set on shrimp might I suggest Amanio (not spelled right sorry) anyway they will not breed but are large enough your Betta should not have an issue with them. They are about the same cost as RCS.

Good luck

6. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

You can test with ghost shrimp, but they tend to be kind of carnivorous, not sure how they'd deal with cherries if you add cherries later. And you can combine cherries from different sources, with good culling you can enhance their genes and color. Just don't mix the color varieties if you want to keep shrimp of one color, mixing tends to make babies revert to clear or wild coloration, even though it is a way to create new strains of color. Be sure you know what you're getting, for example bloody mary shrimp and fire red cherry shrimp are both red but are different strains, bloody mary flesh is red, cherry shrimp shell is red.

7. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

amanio? ive never heard of that kind before. ill take a look and see. if i dont get any shrimps then its fine ill just use this for future reference

8. -Mak-

Amano = Caridina multidentata, they are great hair algae eaters and the females get up to two inches, so less likely to be eaten.

9. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

bloody mary sounds neat lol but yeah research is important when it comes to these things. im just going to get one kind just to keep it simple because ive never had shrimp XD

10. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

huh that sounds useful especially in a planted tank

11. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

is caring for amano the same as caring for ghosts?

12. -Mak-

I haven't kept ghosts but as long as your GH is decently high and you feed them if they don't have a whole lot of algae, they should be very easy to take care of.

13. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

well hopefully they sell them at petsmart when i go then lol

14. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd do amano or ghost shrimp over cherries.
    Amano are easy to care for as long as you get good stock.

15. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

alright ^.^ i will most likely do ghosts since i know for sure that they sell them but if i see amano then i will get those instead. do i need anything special for them? i know i need to pickup more plants and stuff for them to climb and hide in. do they need calcium? i know snails need them but not sure about shrimp

16. Anders247

Unless your water has a super low pH I wouldn't worry about calcium.
    They don't really need anything special.

17. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

ok thanks and now one last question lol. how many can i put in a five gallon tank?

18. Anders247

I'd do 4-5 amanos, you could do 10 ghost shrimp.

19. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

ok thanks very much. i really appreciate the help. oh one last thing...why do i need chola wood?

20. BuddyD

BuddyD Well Known Member Member

Ditch the betta and get the cherry shrimp.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice