Ghost/Glass Shrimp?

Corzz79
Hey all,
I’ve got a 180L / 50g freshwater tank going with 3 juvenile Altums and 3 juvenile Rio Nanay angelfish. With a couple of guppys and snails. I recent got given a few ghost shrimp and who I am kidding, it’s gourmet for angels. So I put them in and I can still see 3/6. It’s been at least 48hrs and I’m amazed any are even alive.

So my question is... Could I possibly even buy like 20-30 of them for my tank and they will help keep it clean if my baby angels aren’t eating them yet? I’ve seen one of my Altums check a shrimp out but swam away. I know adults or even in weeks to come, they’ll have no chance. I’ve just heard such good things about shrimp and tank cleaning etc. I’m trying tho think of easier and better alternatives other than treatments. More because I cannot seem to keep up with the instructions for my algae/black beards to PO. To some people, my tank looks great, but I hate the black beard that’s growing on the 3D background etc. I’ve got a mystery snail that doesn’t do a good enough job and I don’t want anymore snails cos they make a their own mess with the eggs ‍♂

Myyyman
Shrimp are cool, but in terms of algae removal, they're pretty overrated. They're just gonna end up as expensive angel food. For your black beard algae, get a few siamese algae eaters and wah-lah! It'll be gone in no time. Plus they're a cool schooling alternative to denison barbs, which require a bigger tank.

Corzz79
I actually just bought a couple of the Siamese algae eaters the other day. Hope those two can pull it off for me then.

JettsPapa
I'll agree that shrimp aren't generally the best option for algae control, but don't assume your ghost shrimp will be eaten. I've added some cull neocaridina shrimp to my 65 gallon tank that has an angelfish that's about 3", excluding fins, and much to my surprise I occasionally see one crawling around on the substrate. Between the angelfish and Lake Kutubu rainbowfish I didn't think they'd have a chance.

Top Bottom