Ghost Catfish?

Cantra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What kind of care do they need. I've come across things saying that they only eat live food but I've come across other things saying they will eat flake food and frozen foods. If they only eat live foods would they eat shrimp? And how many should one keep in a group? So far we're wanting 6 of them but if there needs to be more then we'll add some more. Also will they be ok with Angelfish? we were planning on getting 5 of those... the tank is 150 gallons by the way. Also I've heard they hide a lot what kind of hiding places should I create for them or will they be fine just hiding behind the driftwood and the plants?

crazedACD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I work in a LFS...the ones I get will mostly eat any kind of frozen (love bloodworms and brine!). Will probably take presoaked soft pellets in a more secure environment. Not sure about angels and them...would wait on other answers for that...if the angels start picking on them they will not last. They are pretty delicate and don't move very fast, but then again the angels shouldn't see them as much of a threat.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ghost catfish must must must must must be in a group of at least 6. The more, the merrier. At first, they take only bloodworms, but you can wean them onto prepared foods like flakes later on.

I am very ashamed to say that I have 2 ghosts in my 10 gallon tank. I got them pre-Fishlore, and have been trying to rehome them all this time (LFS doesn't take back fish), but it's not working.

Cantra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What about hiding places incase they do start being picked on? Will that help any on keeping stress level down? if so what's the best way of setting up a hiding place that the angels wouldn't be able to get to and that the ghost cats would feel secure?

blasto172

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
my glass cats ate flake food right off the bat, so it might depend on the store and there suppliers (what they feed them). I can't say how they would do with angels, mine are with neon's, twig cats, BN, and ghost and bamboo shrimps. Also they really don't like light, when I got t5 HO lights I think it stressed 1 of them to death, the other 5 have been fine they just don't come out till night

asmith

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My glass catfish ate flakes right off too. However, I feed them both bloodworms and flake food. As far as hiding places, I have places all over the tank for them to hide in, such as driftwood, and plants also a ship and skull they can get in as well. They will stay hid, mine never come out until I turn off the lights on my tank at night.

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had to teach mine to eat flake

asmith

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I guess I would have to agree with blasto172 about the store and supplier they came from. It could be very possible that they were already used to eating flake when I got them.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads