Gh Question!

Discussion in 'pH' started by Blaggy, Apr 17, 2018.

1. B

Blaggy Valued Member Member

Hey guys, so I'm in the beginning stages of cycling my first tank. I checked my pH today and noticed it had dropped to 6.6. I decided to add API pH 7.0 to bring it back up, but after further reading I realized doing this could ultimately harm my cycling process so I'm going to leave it alone in the future unless it gets dangerous. Anyway, this prompted me to check my local tap water and I found these readings:

pH - 6.5-7
    KH - 180ppm
    GH - 0ppm <---This was something I found to be very curious. Is this a thing? Does this mean I have super soft water? Is this dangerous?

I checked my tank and these were the results:

pH - 6.5-7
    KH - 180ppm
    GH - 0ppm

So I guess I'm just curious about the GH being at 0 or if the test I'm using isn't reliable. They were the 5-1 API Test Strips. I have the API Master Kit for pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate.

2. Dakotablue

Dakotablue Valued Member Member

You are better off using the liquid API test kits, they make one for GH and KH. In the long run you will thank yourself for it as it is much more accurate.

It is possible to have very soft water but I would do a more reliable test first before jumping to any conclusions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice