gh kh 1st test

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by wayne834, Dec 16, 2012.

1. w

wayne834 Valued Member Member

So,I`m wondering what these numbers say/indicate about my water /stability

GH -13 drops to achieve blue X 20 260
    KH -13 drops also to achieve yellow X10 130

ph 7.5

I`m no expert but water chemistry is my last nut to crack!

2. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

I envy you your 13 drops to get kH reading. How I wish I had that! My understanding is that one needs at least 4 drops to have a kH that buffers pH enough for stable pH. 13 is plenty of kH. 7.5 is a very good pH to have, and with the kH of 13 you should expect the 7.5 to remain unchanged. Stable pH is more important than having any specific kH value.

I do not know enough about GH to comment on it.

3. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

I assume 13 drops to 5ml tank water. 13GH, 13dKH are good numbers. 4dKH or lower makes your pH unstable. Keep your dKH high enough to buffer acids that make your pH fluctuate. dKH also has a direct correlation with pH. You can reduce or increase dKH up to your ideal pH if desired but this is not important. A stable pH is more important than the pH value. Most fish will adjust to a stable pH value without problems. A rapid pH change will shock fish to death.

4. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

You can think of GH as an amount of hard minerals like calcium, magnesium, and other trace elements.

If you want more KH, simply add carbonate compounds like baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Just remember that directly increasing dKH may increase your pH (add slowly and monitor).

This calculator will help. (don't forget to enter Net Water Volume and Product to use)

5. OP
    OP
    w

wayne834 Valued Member Member

I did measure at 5mls, I`ll measure again 2morrow in case I made an error(unlikely:) I`m def feeling re-assured.

6. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Adding more KH may raise your pH, though at your current level adding more is unlikely to change it much.

Keep in mind that some fish really do prefer softer water (though most can be acclimated to somewhat harder water than their natural range.)

7. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice