GH and KH

Discussion in 'Test Kits' started by DebsR, Jun 30, 2016.

1. DebsR

DebsR Valued Member Member

Hi all,
    Could anyone help with the reading on API GH & KH tests, the instructions aren't very clear. It took 2 drops to turn KH yellow and 4 drops to turn GH green. Am i right in reading that as 0-50ppm KH and 50-100ppm GH?

It certainly made me sure in my decision to buy RO water from my lfs it took 15 drops to turn the tap water sample green!! That isnt even on the scale!

Many thanks

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, sorry for the late response.

Two drops for your KH would be 35.8 which is too low. 4 drops for your GH would be 71.6 which depending on your fish would be ok. What kind of fish are you keeping?

The low KH can lead to a ph crash. I'd recommend actually doing 50/50 RO and tap water and test that and see what your GH and KH are then. Your fish need minerals but over 250ppm is high. You just multiply 17.9 x how many drops you had to use for the actual ppm.

4. OP
    OP
    DebsR

Thank you :) see information like that in the instructions would be great!! I am currently keeping zebra danios, neon tetra, dwarf gourami, clown pleco and amano shrimp. I will do a test of RO/Tap tomorrow and see what i get. What Kh should i be aiming for?

Thanks again for the response

5. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I would aim for 5 drops or more for KH to keep your ph stable.

There should be an insert with a chart if it's the API kit that shows the drops, and the equivalent ppm and degrees. Otherwise 17.9 is the magic multiplier for both tests.

6. OP
    OP
    DebsR

Amazing :) thank you so much

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice