Gh And Kh Test

kallililly1973
So this is my first time testing the GH and KH of one of my tanks and had a couple questions. According to the directions they say to add a drop and mix it after every drop for KH till you reach a yellow color in your test tube. ( yellow as in comparison to zero Ammonia in the API kit?) Then they want you to add a drop at a time till you reach a green color in the GH test tube inverting the tube after every drop ( in comparison to higher levels of Ammonia in the API kit?) If by chance I did this right my KH was 5 and my GH was 8. Or are you suppose to do the drops all at once till it turns the correct colors then shake the test tubes? Also are you suppose to shake the GH and KH containers prior to any testing it doesn't say to in any of the directions unless I missed something. I'll post a pic from my phone cuz its easier. Thanks for the help and answers to this GH-KH testing newbie
richie.p

Attachments

• 8BAC9FE3-5FBF-4909-B221-551BF672FCA5.jpeg
    8BAC9FE3-5FBF-4909-B221-551BF672FCA5.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 86
Advertisement
Skavatar
sounds like you did it correct. you shake the test tube after each drop.

I looked at the directions, it doesn't say to shake the bottles first, but I shake them anyways.

kallililly1973
sounds like you did it correct. you shake the test tube after each drop.

I looked at the directions, it doesn't say to shake the bottles first, but I shake them anyways.
Thanks. Does it appear that it is the correct colors judging from my pic or should the Green be much darker? I think I got the Yellow correct. But just watched a vid and seen someone explaining the test and their test tube was like a forest green color...if that's the case then I think my GH may be more along the lines of 11

coralbandit
IMO the final color is not as important as noting when the largest change in color occurs .
My KH is 2-3 so it barely shows any color before going to pale yellow .
You got good average water you could keep most in there ..

kallililly1973
IMO the final color is not as important as noting when the largest change in color occurs .
My KH is 2-3 so it barely shows any color before going to pale yellow .
You got good average water you could keep most in there ..
Great thanks. I'm sure like anything else it'll take a couple tries to get used to. Is it usually rule of thumb that testing 1 tank that your other tanks ( and I use this term lightly) "pretty similar" providing their all cycled of course.

coralbandit
Yea unless you have some deco like wood or possibly a planted gravel or sand ..
You should really test your source . That will tell you if anything in the tank is effecting your readings .

kallililly1973
Yea unless you have some deco like wood or possibly a planted gravel or sand ..
You should really test your source . That will tell you if anything in the tank is effecting your readings .
Well all my plants have some driftwood and are all pretty heavily planted. Your right I can test each individual tank if need be just to learn more about it and at the same time see the GH and KH of each tank. Thanks for the replies!!

richiep
The lads got it spot on there for you, that's great shrimp water. The funny hrs you keep over there always puts me late in a conversation

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
FishDin
Replies