Gh And Kh For Cherry Shrimp

Tsort91

Hello everyone!

My 30 gallon planted tank has been running for about 5 weeks and cycled for about 1 week so far. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate level are where they should be. I’m fertilizing my plants weekly with snail and shrimp safe products. My question is what are the “safe” level ranges for GH and KH For cherry shrimp? My GH is reading 9 (161ppm) and KH is reading 4 (71ppm). I’d like to keep some Cherry Shrimp if possible since I love the way they look in a nicely planted tank.

JessicaSwanlake

Your GH and KH are both within the acceptable range, you just don't want your KH to go any lower or your pH can fluctuate too much and stress your shrimp. Some articles might state your GH is a bit higher than it should be (I often see 6-8 dGH as ideal) but the most important thing is that the GH in the tank doesn't vary. Most sources I have read say the GH can be up to 12 dGH or even 14 dGH as long as your shrimp are acclimated to it.
Have you gotten your shrimp yet? If not, I would wait for another month before putting them in as they will do much better in a more established tank and you will have fewer deaths right away.

richiep

It couldn't be anymore perfect

Tsort91

Your GH and KH are both within the acceptable range, you just don't want your KH to go any lower or your pH can fluctuate too much and stress your shrimp. Some articles might state your GH is a bit higher than it should be (I often see 6-8 dGH as ideal) but the most important thing is that the GH in the tank doesn't vary. Most sources I have read say the GH can be up to 12 dGH or even 14 dGH as long as your shrimp are acclimated to it.
Have you gotten your shrimp yet? If not, I would wait for another month before putting them in as they will do much better in a more established tank and you will have fewer deaths right away.

I haven gotten any shrimp yet. I plan on stocking it with about 6-8 Celestial Pearl Danios and 6-8 tetras over a month or two before I add any shrimp to it. I want to make sure there’s enough biofilm and little organisms for the shrimp to feed on before going in there. They will have plenty of plants/moss and hiding places as well

richiep

Give it two months total before you attempt to put shrimp in, when you do just try 5 or 10, drip acclimate them for 2hrs, now would be a good time to put Alder cones and a catappa leaf in these will have biofilm on by the time the shrimp go in, they also contain antI fungal properties which are good for shrimp,

Tsort91

Give it two months total before you attempt to put shrimp in, when you do just try 5 or 10, drip acclimate them for 2hrs, now would be a good time to put Alder cones and a catappa leaf in these will have biofilm on by the time the shrimp go in, they also contain antI fungal properties which are good for shrimp,

I have Catappa leaves in there right now! I won’t be adding any shrimp for easily a month if not more. I will be getting a school of Tetra or Celestial Pearl Danios first. I’m also setting up a 5.5 gallon shrimp tank so I may start them off in there in the future and let them breed and move some to the bigger tank, haven’t decided yet. The addiction is getting real with wanting a bunch of tanks lol

richiep

Ideal is 10 gallon if you have the space, it is harder to keep perameters stable in smaller tanks but the way you've approached this I don't think you'll have a problem, when this is running with stock you can put some culls in the 5.5 as a tester

Tsort91

Eventually I will upgrade to a little bigger one and use the 5.5 as a quarantine tank. I will have manzanita wood/Cholla wood and low-mid light plants in the 5.5 - nano planted shrimp tank in the idea. I’m using the Finnex Planted + clip on light for this tank. If it doesn’t work out in the future I will use it as a plant only tank until I need a quarantine tank.

kallililly1973

Just keep in mind that it would be a good idea to have maybe a small sponge filter running in your main tank then if you need to set the 5.5 up in a hurry you can just drop the sponge filter in it to get a cycle. Right away.

Tsort91

Just keep in mind that it would be a good idea to have maybe a small sponge filter running in your main tank then if you need to set the 5.5 up in a hurry you can just drop the sponge filter in it to get a cycle. Right away.

I do have a sponge filter running in my main tank since it’s been set up! I also have a smaller one for the 5.5 gallon that I will throw in the main tank for a few weeks before I put it in the 5.5. I’m in no rush to get the 5.5 up, I just want to make sure it’s right so I’ll be patient

tjander

I would use caution on putting shrimp and fish in the same tank. I don’t think the CPD’s will bother the adult shrimp but the tetra’s will more then likely go after any fry, and young shrimp. It’s going to make starting a colony of shrimp just a bit more challenging.

Tsort91

I would use caution on putting shrimp and fish in the same tank. I don’t think the CPD’s will bother the adult shrimp but the tetra’s will more then likely go after any fry, and young shrimp. It’s going to make starting a colony of shrimp just a bit more challenging.

Yeah Ive been thinking about that. I caved and bought a 5.5 gallon tank that I will get my shrimp fix with...well at least start with lol. Eventually I will throw some shrimp in the bigger tank. I will probably just go with some Cory’s and a Blue Eyed Lemon Bristlenose pleco or a Queen Arabesque for my bottom dwellers since they both stay relatively small.

Top Bottom