getting zucchini to sink

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by kidster9700, Jul 31, 2015.

1. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

uh, so my zucchini slice is floating? i don't know why, and i just guessed it would sink because people feed it to snails and bottom feeders. why is it floating?

2. PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

i stab it with a fork and let the weight of the fork hold it down. works like a charm. or simply tye it to an ornament you have in the tank. either one works. the zucchini will float if not weighted down

3. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

my bf had fed his fish zucchini chunks and those sunk. so thats weird. i guess i'll tie it to something. not sure what.

4. slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

Microwave it for 15-20 secs or weight it down with something.

5. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

microwave it? huh, so cooked zucchini sinks?

6. PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

i have also heard of boiling the zucchini for 2-3 mins letting it cold and then it will sink to the bottom.

yeah i did some research for you, apparently cooking it a bit makes it sink.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2015
  7. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Stick a fork in it or you can get a screwcumber from ebay or amazon to weigh it down.

8. LittlebuddaWell Known MemberMember

Rubber band and a river stone, no sharp bits then.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. vivelafishValued MemberMember

I blanch my pieces. Usually I boil water, slice the zucchini really thin, then stick it in the water for like 1-2 minutes and immediately take out the slice and dunk them in ice water. Then place it into the tank. This will allow the zucchini to water log. This also works with spinach or cucumber or anything really...

If you're not a fan of "cooking" the veggies [which I like to because I'm afraid of pesticides or something that will affect the tank] you can put the zucchini on a skewer then place it into your tank and wedge the skewer somewhere so it stays there. Whenever they're done, just take the skewer and the remainder of the zucchini out.

10. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

This is exactly what I do. I feed then raw because they take longer to break down that way, you can leave them for 24 hours without problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. f2002Valued MemberMember

I use these vegetable clips I got from Amazon for $7. They are kind of big but very attractive looking. You can kind of see the clip a little bit in my profile picture.

My main reason for putting cucumbers into the tank is to feed my hillstream loaches. However, the Gold Ram and kuhli loaches will also come by and take a bite or two. My fish prefer the cucumbers when they are softened up a little. I put slices in a small cup filled with a little water, then microwave it for about 1-2 minutes (less time for smaller slices). This generally makes the cucumber slices soft enough for immediate consumption. When I just put pure raw cucumber slices in the tank, the fish don't seem as interested (until 24 hours later when the water softens it up).

BTW @kidster9700, your cory looks gorgeous. I've been thinking for a while about switching from white sand to black sand but was afraid my false julies will wear down their whiskers. What kind of sand do you use in the picture and are all your cories healthy and sporting long whiskers?

12. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

I actually use Petco brand aquarium sand. Since I get a discount. Here's a picture of them after being in there two months. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438377694.220042.jpg
    That guy actually has shorter whiskers than the others, but I don't really know what counts as "long"

13. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

I wanted to get a picture to show you guys the zucchini and what I did with it ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438377954.030294.jpg
    And then I saw something weird behind the driftwood...
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438377973.115071.jpg
    My betta, Padme, must have died last night :( she was acting a little odd after the big tank cleaning I did, staying to herself and just hanging out at the top, but I thought she would go back to her normal self in a day or so. I'm so sad :( she was the perfect girl for my tank! She swam with my platies and never even showed aggression to anyone. I'm so sad...
    I guess on the bright side, I don't have to worry about her eating all the food and being bloated so much.
    This sucks :(

14. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

I'm sorry for your loss :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

15. vivelafishValued MemberMember

Oh no! That's awful... I'm sorry. What an awesome name too. RIP Padme <3.

16. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

i saw one ramshorn on it. other than that, they didn't go for it. i'll leave it in overnight though, because thats when my gold inca eats. (the other two mystery snails will eat whenever they find food)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice