Getting zebra nerite snail questions

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Iv decided to get zebra nerite snail and they have them at my LFS. I'm not getting them now but eventually and have a few questions.

How sensitive are snails? I won't be getting them till my tank has settled down and stayed stable for awhile but are they a critter you should wait awhile for? Also iv decided to drip acclimate all the critters I get from now in. Is this ok for snails? Should I acclimate them like you do a fish? When they are ready to I put them anywhere special?

Also at the LFS they had the ZN snails and some had more yellow stripes while some had more brown/orange like stripes are there just natural variations in color?

Thanks!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most snails are pretty hardy but I acclimate mine just like i do my new fish.

There are several different "designs" on Nerite snails and all of them pretty cool
Carol

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello FlGirl,

http://www.planetinverts.com/zebra_nerite_snail.html

The above link may give you a few pointers They are a beautiful snail!

I would assume that these snails are like other snails and require calcium to keep their shells good and strong. Feeding a slice of fresh zucchini will help, it's high in calcium. Also adding an egg shell into a mesh bag and placing it in your tank or filter is another good calcium source. Once the egg shell decays you can add another. Usually 4 to 6 weeks to decay.

Ken

Last edited:

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for all the info! They are really cool....I have another question I was first going to get one but then upon looking at the was starting to think 2-3 how much do you think that will effect waste wise? Like bioload?

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hi! i have three tracked nerites....they have spots. and one zebra. i love them! three are in the 20g, and one in the 10g divided betta tank. they love zuchinni, and wafers... if the corys leave any! i do the egg shell think and it has helped them grow a lot.

i dont think they have a great bio load. plus they are great algae esters. youll enjoy them

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks, I will have to do that too, I can't wait to get them! Not tooooo much longer.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They definitely aren't a low bioload like a shrimp. I have some extra ramshorns and pond snails (got too many of Aquabid) in a Tupperware container on my counter waiting for MIL to get them and those things make a LOT of poop! These guys are all tiny, like the size of the "O" on a computer keyboard and smaller, so I can only imagine what large snail what a nerite makes.

-Lisa

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well obviously the larger the snail, the larger the poop....but if you don't overfeed them, it shouldn't be too bad. i noticed when mine have a lot of algae to eat, or eat a wafer, they poop more. the bio-load isn't as low as shrimp, but the snails are almost more rewarding to watch! though i like shrimp.

nerite snails don't get as big as mystery snails, so i'm guessing the bio-load is smaller. but regardless, they are really cool!

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks, either way I don't think it is a huge bioload, right? I'd probably get 2. ...3 max

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom