Getting worried already

Llama

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yesterday I bought myself a betta ( ) and I'm pretty happy with him, he looks beautiful and all that.

Now he's only been with me for 14 hours or so (including a night period) - but he's not eating yet. So I'm beginning to get worried already.

I know its probably stress-induced or something, but he looks pretty content where he is - however he's leaving the food floating on the surface and is making no attempts to get it.

Its just 'general' flake food at the moment - I tried to buy betta-flakes but the shop had run out.

On a happier note - he's a very interesting creature - apparently he likes hiding under things - he seems to like getting under the thermometer for some reason.

So am I just worried for nothing? Is there something else I can give him that he'll eat ? (I have no access to live foods)

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A lot of them do not eat at the start, my brother's one did the same, also I have found they generally refuse flakes. I had to get some Atison's betta pellets ordered in. I would fast him for a day, then when he sees the food, he's hungry and actually eats it. Soak it in garlic juice also is an idea. At the moment, I wouldn't be worried, they are usually big drama queens. If this is the only prob you have so far, I would not be worrying just now (I know it's hard not to, I don't blame you lol!).

Check your water parameters as well to see it is not this causing any distress.

Remember, new addition, new pics......

fishtroy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I wouldn't be worried mine do this. Come to think of it my Ganymede is still doing it right now. Often it happens when your food is different to what they were fed in the store. I had to ring and ask once what the store fed my fish as he refused to eat for days. Maybe you can find out what he was fed before?

Llama

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Allright, guess I'll calm down then.

I'll try to buy betta-flakes today i guess, I'll go over to the other fish store and see if they stock any. Otherwise the place I bought him from should have them by wednesday.

Picture:

fishtroy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sounds good. Look for some bloodworms. He will love you then!

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hes a looker lol

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What a beautiful boy! He reminds me of my brother's betta. Stunning!

Snowdrop

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When I got my first betta he wouldn't eat flake food. Their mouths aren't shaped right for flakes. Betta pellets are better. and they love blood worms!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ah yes, the worms. Normally Saturday is pea day, but I think I'll treat them to worms instead haha!! (To celebrate the new arrival of course haha!).

It's great to watch them chase them down through the tank, try it if you get the chance sometime, it's a good laugh!

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What a beautiful boy!

I wouldn't be worried about him not eating at first. My newest edition (a blue butterfly delta tail male) wouldn't eat for the first few days and was EXTREMELY shy. Whenever I'd walk up to the tank, he'd zoom to the back and "hide" behind either the heater or the cabomba. Now he's right up front with his two tankmates, Alec and Dragon (both crowntail males...in a divided tank), begging for food whenever I walk by.

My guys (and girls) won't eat pellets, so I feed flake. As long as it's crushed a bit and not left in big pieces, they're fine with it. They also love their frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp (which reminds me...I'm almost out of brine shrimp!).

Etcetera

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sometimes they're stressed, sometime they just don't understand that what you're giving them is actually food because they've become used to eating something that looks and smells very different. I wouldn't worry. He should come around. You might try to train him to use a feeding ring.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd definitely recommend thawed, frozen food for Bettas. Dry food, particularly flakes can cause constipation issues and they really love bloodworms.

Llama

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Update:

I went looking for betta-pellets today, checked yet another fish store.

I didn't find any, but I found some freeze-dried bloodworms.

I gave one to my betta, and he didn't even try to eat it. Getting rather worried now, he looks happy otherwise, the water's good, he's got a lot of space to stretch his fins and he's very active actually.

The bloodworms are good though - I threw some in my other tank and there was a fight over them.

Fussy little thing.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Congratulations! I hope he eats for you soon.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The trick sometimes amounts to calling the place you got him from and finding out what they fed the fish before you got him but he is such a stunner and you have a right to worry. New parents always do. LOL

I found a new place to get food for my bettas since the Atison's betta Pro is no more and the bettas needed something other than bloodworms they make the most marvelous betta pellets and Salmon is the main ingredient. the bettas love them. It is
https://www.AlmostNaturalTropicalFishFood.com The man that runs the place sells the food pretty much at cost for him to help out the fellow fish hobbyists and my fish (loaches, cories and bettas) are all enjoying the benefits of food that he has made.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Did you reconstitute the bloodworms before you gave them to him? If you're feeding freeze-dried, you need to soak the pieces in a bit of tank water or garlic juice to get them soft again. When I tried feeding freeze-dried bloodworms (when I was still VERY new to this whole thing), I didn't reconstitute them and ended up just getting dirty looks from my betta. Now I feed frozen and they almost fight me for them.

Llama

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hmm, I checked that site out. Problem is, an ounce of food costing 3.50 dollars costs 31 dollars to ship

I still have two shops I haven't tried yet - if that fails, I'll buy from ebay or something - any brand you recommend?

Did you reconstitute the bloodworms before you gave them to him? If you're feeding freeze-dried, you need to soak the pieces in a bit of tank water or garlic juice to get them soft again
Yes I did, I soaked them in water beforehand. I'll try feeding him again today - its been 48 hours now, he should be ok by now I suppose.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
he has a low cost shipping method if you call and ask about it where they will ship in an envelope instead of a box You just have to tell them that is what you want.
If you can get it anywhere I would always recommend Hikari or Atisons pellets rather than Wardley and anything in the bloodworm line or daphnia or even if you go to the store and buy a chicken liver and cut it in very tiny pieces it is something they will eat but they cannot eat it cooked and it has to be fresh
Thanks

Llama

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Allright, I just tried feeding him again.

I threw in a pair of bloodworms, and he ignored them. I decided to poke my finger in the water and flicked around a bit to cause some movement. It finally caught his attention, and as he came to examine my fingers, the bloodworm came by and was eaten. Hooray!

I tried throwing in some flakes . He doesn't like the tetra ones apparently, he ingested one and spat (?) it out again. Apparently unless its moving around he's ignoring it. He goes up to investigate when there's splashing or water dripping or something.

Very interesting kid.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sounds like he has had live food like Baby Brine Shrimp that move. You may want to stir the water before you throw the food in. Is his tank filtered or not? If it is not you need to have it filtered. then the water will be moving some all the time. It will at least give some semblance of movement to the food. He will probably not take to flake foods their mouths are just not made for them. they need a pellet or worm or some daphnia or a small chunk of food no larger than half the size of his eye. But if it is a chunk it needs to be soft or soaked to make it wet all the way through.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom