Getting Wild Trilineatus Cories to Eat

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by QQQUUUUAADDD, Dec 6, 2012.

1. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

I've been having a hard time lately getting my wild trilineatus cories to eat. I drop a few Ken's sticks in the tank hoping that they will eat it. All my other tetras hog the sticks. After 5 minutes, I take the sticks out as I feel the tetras are being overfed. Their stomachs get enormous. That leaves the cories unfed. Sometimes 2 or 3 cories have gotten to the sticks and have eaten. The others don't eat at all. I've even tried bloodworms and they don't eat any of those. Any suggestions on how I can get food to the cories and how I can get the other cories to eat?

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Try feeding them at night. Wait about 30 mins after the lights are off, then drop some food in. Corries are nocturnal.

3. OP
    OP
    QQQUUUUAADDD

See that's the problem. Once something hits the water, my other fish go up and see what it is. If it's food, they'll start eating it right away. They're always on the lookout for food.

4. C

When the lights are out, is there other ambient light?

If it's pitch black, the corries will have a huge advantage at finding the food.

5. OP
    OP
    QQQUUUUAADDD

Hmmm... the tank is by the walk-out in the basement, so a bit of moonlight comes in. If I close the blinds it will probably be pitch black.

In the morning when I go to check on my fish and I see that it has been eaten, how do I know that it was eaten by the cories? (sorry for double post)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2012
  6. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

my cories love flake food :) just a suggestion

7. C

Corries are much more active at night. It's also harder for the other fish to find the food. If all goes well, the other fish wont even wake up.

You could always fast the tank for a couple days if you are worried about the tetras exploding from food.

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Are they new fish?

I think feeding smaller foods is key. It's harder for fish to hog the food when it's everywhere. Don't you have the 0.5 mm NLS?

9. OP
    OP
    QQQUUUUAADDD

They're new fish. I got them on Black Fri from Aquarium Center falsely labeled as julii cories.

I do have the .5 mm NLS. I sprinkle some on the water surface but they don't sink fast enough for the cories to get them. 4 specific glowlight tetras particularly feed at the top so they eat all of them before it can sink. Maybe I can soak them so they sink beforehand?

10. Jaysee

I think I remember seeing them - they were pretty small?

Try putting the pellets in the outflow of the filter, so that they get blown all throughout the tank.

Did you quarantine them? Another benefit of quarantining new fish is that you can make sure that they are eating well before you put them in the main tank.

11. OP
    OP
    QQQUUUUAADDD

I did QT them. They were eating quite well before I added them to the main tank a few days ago. I saw no signs of illness or stress.

12. Jaysee

....my fish are still in quarantine ;)

they ought to be eating then. If it's a matter of not being able to get to the food, then dispersing it in the filter outflow will help. You could also get a turkey baster and deposit the food at the bottom.

13. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

I used to put a bunch of food up one end at the top for tetras/livebearers, then at the other end just place it below the water line so it sank quickly. Target feeding might be the way to start them off.

14. OP
    OP
    QQQUUUUAADDD

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try to feed them tomorrow and see what happens.

15. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

It sounds wierd and surely qualifies as such but here go's. When I got some half wild cories and I was unsure of whether they were getting the food after lights out or the other fish were getting it I would look at the poop in the morning, yep you heard me right. Ime cories poops are kind of balled up and uneven compared to the "sticks" alot of other fish poop out.

16. OP
    OP
    QQQUUUUAADDD

Hmmm... interesting. I'll see if they have any balled up poop tomorrow.

17. llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

I tuck my frozen cube of blood worms in front of them in the substrate just before lights out I cover almost all of it but an edge, and I peek shortly after and all 5 of them are in a circle going to town! Try that with your sticks or worms too.

18. OP
    OP
    QQQUUUUAADDD

Thanks for the suggestion!

19. OP
    OP
    QQQUUUUAADDD

A select few have still not eaten. I think they were ones who didn't eat in QT. I'm getting a bit worried. I think it may be internal parasites. Should I do a round of Prazi?

20. Jaysee

I treat my new fish with prazipro as standard operating procedure.

Try feeding them some meaty foods, see if that doesn't get them eating.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice