Getting This In My Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by CathyS, Jul 14, 2019.

1. CathyS

CathySNew MemberMember

I got this in my tank and completely emptied it out and cleaned everything and set back up but this is coming back again. Is it mold? How do I get rid of it and it won't come back?

Attached Files:

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

3. Little Blue Ram

Little Blue RamValued MemberMember

Does the tank have water in it? It looks like algae that wasn't all the way cleaned off. Mold in tank usually is white and fluffy.

4. MrBryan723

Don't know how redundant we can be really. Perhaps if you know magic you could cast a spell?

5. OP
    OP
    CathyS

CathySNew MemberMember

Yes it has water in it. I'm so confused if it is algea or bacteria. I'm getting told different things and I don't know what to do about it

Posted this on another area of fishlore but got different answered, thought I would try here to see what answers I would get and see what will help me deal with this

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2019
  6. MrBryan723

It is 1 of 2 things. It is diatoms(a bacteria species) or brown algae(an algae) you can easily tell the difference of you try to brush if off the decor, if it brushes off easily it is diatoms, if it does not is is brown algae.

7. Little Blue Ram

Little Blue RamValued MemberMember

Since the other thread have you taken the decor out and cleaned it? is it only coming back in those spots? algae can be difficult to get off

8. MrBryan723

Me and another very experienced member answered your question and told you how to tell the difference and how to fix either problem. Have faith in us.

9. OP
    OP
    CathyS

CathySNew MemberMember

When I did a total clean out of the tank it wiped off pretty easy. So I guess that would make it diatoms. Since it came back again after the total clean what do I do to get rid of it, and permanently? Someone had said to just leave it but it gets worse and looks horrible and I don't want to ruin my tank or kill my betta.

I got a few different answers and made me confused

I looked from yesterday. You said I should just let it run its course. So I should just leave it alone? Won't it take over the tank? Will it hurt my betta? It looks awful and if it's going to get worse it will be disgusting

10. MrBryan723

If it's diatoms you should. They will just come back. It won't harm the betta at all. If it's brown algae there are several options including reducing feeding and light a bit, and is is also harmless. It will also go away on it's own over time if you maintain your tank well.

What kind of filter are you using?

11. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

If it brushes off easily just continue to brush it off and once your tank is more established it'll go away.

12. OP
    OP
    CathyS

CathySNew MemberMember

It's called a KC 10 Internal Aquarium Power Filter. It came with my tank. I'm going to have to buy a whole new unit soon though because I can't find the refill cartridges anywhere.

13. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Either way, diatoms or algae are not harmful to any livestock.

14. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

If the cartridge is dirty just rinse it out in a bucket of tank water don't replace it you will lose your cycle. When it starts to really deteriorate just wrap it with some polyfill and keep the framed part of the cartridge. Also if there is room in your filter get a mesh bag and put some ceramic media in it and leave it in the bottom of your filter for the Beneficial Bacteria to grow.

15. OP
    OP
    CathyS

CathySNew MemberMember

Bryan, are you the Bryan from bettafish.org? I have asked that Bryan questions before.

Thank You

16. MrBryan723

Since it is a removable filter you can remove it and dose your tank with a good amount of hydrogen peroxide and that will kill it off. You can remove the betta too if you wish. After about an hour you can put your filter and betta back in. If you have a proper dosing method you can dose around 1-2 mg per gallon or so and leave the fish in, but you MUST remove the filter. If you don't have a dosing method several cap fulls will easily do the ttrick.even doing this however it may still come back since you can't use this method to treat the filter without it killing the important bacteria as well.
    It is definitely diatoms tho so at least theres that.

I am not that Bryan.

17. OP
    OP
    CathyS

CathySNew MemberMember

Ok, so take out the filter and the betta. How many capfulls of peroxide would I put in a 6.5 gallon tank? After the hour should I then take out and wash the decorations with the diatoms on them or will the peroxide make it go away? After the hour my fish will be safe in the water?

Y
    You don't have to be nasty. Some people said diatoms, some said algea, some said leave it alone, if it's algea I can buy something to treat it, if it's not I can't, it's confusing getting different answers

18. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Diatoms will disappear as your aquarium matures and algae is beneficial. It serves the same purpose as live plants by consuming excess nutrients.

19. iHaveAzoo

iHaveAzooNew MemberMember

You're going to kill your betta anyway by cleaning your tank like that. Get a UV sterilizer. I use The Green Killing Machine. It keeps the algae away. Don't clean your whole tank that way. You destroyed your fishes entire habbitat. You threw away all his beneficial bacteria. Not smart. All because you don't like how it looks.

20. MrBryan723

Not trying to be nasty, it was a joke, and it is all a part of fish keeping. It was 1 of 2 things, told you how to figure out which it was, and how to go about dealing with either one.
    Now we know it is for sure diatoms. So we informed you that your best bet is to just let them run their course.

Nitrogen cycle

Read this