getting things from the beach for your tank, good or bad?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by ILikeFishies, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ILikeFishies

ILikeFishies Valued Member Member

hey guys, i'll be going to the beach pretty soon, and was wondering if i could get the beach sand to use it in my tank?
    and also shells and probably some rocks.

From some research i've done, people say you should boil the sand to sterilize it, if so, how long?
    As long as i boil the sand would it be 100% clean and safe for my tank?, even if the sand is not as clean?
    Is it safe for me to put rocks i find at the beach in my tank?

any suggestions?

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would not use sand from the beach. Aside from the obvious concerns, it's a much finer sand than what is used in an aquarium. If you have a canister, it's not a big deal. But it will undoubtedly foul an HOB.

Don't boil rocks! They can explode.

3. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

I have never tried to boil sand, it is much easier (here in the US anyway) to buy a 50 pound bag of it already clean in the form of pool filter sand. As for rocks, I've taken a few from my local rivers and yard, but just cleaned them off very well and tested them with vinegar to make sure they wouldn't leach into the water.

4. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

noob question but, why would it foul a HOB :O?

i want to buy the type of sand which looks real, like at the beach, but the ones i ever find are the slightly bigger ones, not too fine, and i did visit this one shop that sold sand that looked alot like sand you see on the beach, BUT, the price was crazy!, its like , a 0.5kg bag of sand was like rm5, in my currency, which is like ..maybe $1.50 - $2?
    well for me its quite expensive o.o. I could like have a chicken burger set at wendy's for rm5.50 :eek:

So imagine how many bags i'd have to buy to fill up my 15 gallon :(

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2012
  5. Jaysee

HOB motors are on the bottom of the filter, which is where sand and what not collects. The motor on a canister is on the top. The sand will collect at the lowest point, which in an HOB, is usually the motor. That's why canisters are impervious to sand - gravity :)

6. aquatic

Try getting the sand at a pool store, they sand at any aquatic store is VERY expesive compared to it. The pool filter sand looks exactly just like the sand at the beach.

7. Jaysee

I agree - it's just a larger diameter and thus heavier - better for an HOB.

8. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

ok noob question again lol
    what is a pool store o_O never heard of a pool store before.

And also, how would sand get into your HOB anyways? wouldnt it be hanging at the top of your tank :O?

9. Jaysee

A store that sells pool and spa supplies.

The finer the sand, the easier it is to get kicked up in the water column, where it is carried to the filter intake.

10. aquatic

Here we have several stores that you can go to for buying stuff for your backyard pool... chemicals, filters, water toys, etc. The huge canister filters used in pools use sand to filter out stuff from your swimming water. That stuff is great as a substrate in your fish tank.

Sand can get into the HOB if you stir up the bottom too much and it floats a bit. I've got it in tanks with a canister and HOB and I'm find, but then again I don't stir it up like a tornado either :p

11. Jaysee

12. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

i wouldnt worry about my fish moving the sand though :O they're always swimming at the top lol.

i'll see if i can find a pool store o-o. havent actually seen one before , but its probably because i never noticed or looked for it either xD

13. aquatic

Hardware stores may sell it too, just be sure not to get anything called play sand, it's finer grained than pool filter sand.

14. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

My concern with getting sand from the beach is that the pollution that the sand could have in there. It might be more toxic than you think it is. It could be enough to kill your fish.

15. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

oh i see :O..aw well =/.. there goes my plan to give my tank a more natural look, could i atleast collect shells to decorate my tank?

16. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I really wouldn't get anything from the beach. There's pollution, salt and other stuff that could wreak havoc on your tank. I think you might be more safe to get shells from the pet store which is made for tanks and provides some good stuff for your tank like PH and calcium, maybe...

You can still go for the sand look, but you just need to look at hardware stores or pet shops for sand. If you can get pool filter sand, that might work the best for you. It's not as fine as regular sand but I don't see much of a difference.

17. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

oh dang =/. I saw lots of shells at pet stores but once again, who would even buy them!. the smallest shell thats probably just as big as a neon tetra, cost rm1.80. who would even buy those :eek:! its not pretty and soo small xD

A big one i saw was rm9 :O. just thought that if i found really pretty shells i could use it =/
    Oh well.. so how about rocks? The rocks at pet shops are soo expensive o_O!. i dont even know if thats possible, but basically 1 gram = rm0.50, i dont even know if they're charging it properly lol.

18. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

19. Lilibeth_Seasong

Lilibeth_Seasong Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't put seashells in my tank either. I put one in before and the coating on it started to dissolve. When you put shells and limestone based rocks in your tank it can make the pH go way up. You only want to do this if you are trying to raise the pH of your water on purpose. :)

20. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

oh i see :eek: Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice