Getting The Need Another Tank Bug Already

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TamiR, May 22, 2019.

1. TamiR Valued Member Member

So now that I have successfully cycled my 5 gal and got my first fish (and assassin snail) I am already wanting more lol. So my female betta is very active and swims around like crazy all the time, so I am thinking she would do great with even more space. I am also very interested in cherry barbs as I think they are absolutely beautiful...I also love the different rasbora species. So I have my eye on a 36 gal bowfront tank and I was thinking of getting that and setting it up and cycling it....getting the barbs and rasboras I am interested in and then seeing if my betta can be added and get along in the tank. If it works well, then I could turn my 5 gal into a shrimp tank since I like those too lol. Is this a doable scenario?

2. david1978 Fishlore Legend Member

3. Cameron92 New Member Member

I had this bug hit me before I'd even set my first ever tank up haha. Bought a 7g nano, then a 35g before it even had water in it, 2 months later I transferred everything from the 35g to a new 48g I bought, now I'm looking at turning the 35g into a small reef tank. It's definitely an addictive hobby. :D

4. TamiR Valued Member Member

I am figuring that out lol....I told my husband "I just want a small tank with one fish, thats all I want"...Now I am trying to figure out how to tell him "Well, I think just one big tank will be all I need" lol.

5. Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

And this site is just chock full of enablers. ;) Dooooooo iiittttt!!!!

6. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, please do get your "one big tank" then we can see how long it takes you to get the third tank and determine how bad your MTS is

7. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

If you don't already have live plants just wait till you put some in your tanks and then you will realize just how many tanks you "really" need :)

8. yinoma2001 Valued Member Member

-started at .7 gallon (betta).
    -got a 5 gallon for said betta.
    -then got a 29 gallon.
    -then put said betta from 5 gallon to a new 10 gallon (and added a friend betta in a divider).
    -then put some fish from the 29 gallon into another 10 gallon.
    -used old 5 gallon for some other fish we got.
    -now want a 40 gallon breeder.

Short story: started with .7 gallon cup and now have 4 fully operational tanks. :rolleyes:

9. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

Started with an 8.8 then got a 55 gallon kit then a 10 then a 20 long then a 5.5 then another 5.5 then a 29 that i currently have running outside oh and i almost forgot my 1/2-3/4 gallon bowl that has java moss in it :)

10. yinoma2001 Valued Member Member

Most of us have a red paper clip turning into a house story for our fish tanks.

We all most inevitably start with the betta in the cup (red paper clip).

11. Crazycoryfishlady Well Known Member Member

Well I started with corydora!
    I bought about 4 or 5 and put then in a 10 gallon.
    Bought some.mollies then dojo loaches, realized loaches get massive SWORE I needed a bigger tank.
    So I got another 10 woth more cories amd mollies.
    Then I got a 20 because they need a bigger tank!
    Then I got a disease and put like 20 fish in my 20 long.
    Then I decided I NEED a 55 because the loaches will keep growing! And the cories will like the space!
    And.... The plecos are going to be bought so need a place to stay!
    And.... Now the 20 is full, the 10s are all in use, the 55 is dang full, and now there's 29 too.
    Oh and...
    Maybe another 29 or 40 breeder on it's way... Maybe a 75...
    Lol!
    Get the big fish so you can upgrade!

12. TamiR Valued Member Member

Oh I have live plants and actually ordered some more online..waiting for my shipment lol

13. Islandvic Well Known Member Member

Petsmart has the Top Fin Starter Kits on sale 50% off through the 27th.

Includes 5.5, 10, 20, 29, 37 and 55g kits.

All purchases earn 1.5x rewards points through June 2nd I believe.

14. Crazycoryfishlady Well Known Member Member

Why can no one ever provide the 15g on sale? Lol?
    Need something other than standard!

15. Fishcat Well Known Member Member

My son wanted a betta, so we researched and I decided a 10 gallon was a decent size. Then I realized that if we got a bigger tank, I could get corys. Therefore, 29 gallon. Then I got impatient waiting for him to save up the money and got myself a 10. Then I had too many snails and got a bin for them. Then I got a guppy and some neons off Craigslist and got a 20 for them and their friends.
    Oh, and before I got the 10 I set up an opae’ula shrimp jar.
    I really want a 40 breeder now.

16. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

Keep going!! :)

17. Fishcat Well Known Member Member

There is no logical end, is there? I keep thinking that if we finished part of the basement I could get a big tank and have the giant pleco I always wanted.
    I started my first tank (well, jar) last August.

18. yinoma2001 Valued Member Member

I have a 29G and want a 40G. I checked out the 37G but it seems to be a 29G just wider?

19. Geoff Well Known Member Member

I have a 37g. It has the same footprint as a 29g, it’s just taller.

20. yinoma2001 Valued Member Member

Ok. Yeah I want length over height.