Getting started

Eskielvr

Reaction score
The fish bug has bit me again, and I've found "mini" marine tanks complete with protein skimmers, the appropriate lightening, etc. I found one, a 34 gallon, for $600 and some 6 gallon ones for about $150 or so, not sure if that's exact. I know that with Marine aquariums, the bigger the better, but I don't have the space or the funds to get one over 55 gallons (which I had heard was the minimum size you should use.)

So, what do you guys think of these "mini" marine tanks? Could I use one if I just put 1 or 2 pieces of live rock in it and 1 fish or so?

Miss Mouse

Well Known
Reaction score
It totally depends on what you want out of your marine tank. If you want fish only - then definitely the bigger the better because they all like space to swim around in.
If you just want one or two little fish and some live rock then you could keep it fairly small but minumum of 20 gallons I reckon.
If you want corals and mushrooms etc you could make a really cool little nano reef if you have the right lighting for them. Have a look on google s for nano reef to get an idea.

I have a 40 gallon with a few pieces of live rock, a clown fish, a damsel and a valentinI puffer. I'm not gonna fill it with fish cos I like keping the stock low to give the fish a better quality of life but I wouldn't put much more in mine anyway. I will get aother clown to keep this one company and maybe a little shoal of 4 green chromis but that's it..
So what are your plans?

OP
E

Eskielvr

Reaction score
I was thinking something along the lines of this:

or this:

or this:

But, that last one costs over $600 so I don't know when I'd be able to afford one.

I don't really care what kind of fish I'd want, whatever I get it'd have to be compatible with the size of aquarium I can afford. I was mainly thinking a few pieces of live rock, and/or corral, and maybe 1 fish or two. Kind of like how they're displayed at the pet stores.

agsansoo

Well Known
Reaction score
If had to pick one, I'd pick the second one. AquaPod Aquarium Systems with the open hood lights. These little nano tanks with
closed hoods can really cook ... I have a similar designed 60 gallon tank, with the hood closed the tank temp keep rising day after
day ( greenhouse effect ).
The only good setup nano tanks I've seen have large sumps below them. This increases the total water volume. ( 10 gallon nano tank with
a 20 gallon or larger sump )

New Threads