Question Getting Started With Hermit Crabs

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I need more in depth help with this because there are only a few up-to-date sources of care and information on hermit crabs. I can't adopt a hermit crab because no one in my city of a million people have anything on Craig's List or Kijiji selling their crab. I am not going outside of my town to get 'em because; (A) I get car sick, (B) they are hours away and I don't know how to drive, and (C) it'll be too much stress on the hermit crab and us. My sources for anything but cats and dogs are fairly limited so many "high quality" foods or substrates (doesn't matter the brand) may not be accessible in certain cities, provinces/territories, and countries.

(I took this little section from my other thread) I still can't bring isopods into the house so the care for the hermit crabs will be a little more work. Assuming they like live plants, maybe I should plant some lettuce, strawberries, dandelions, ferns or something in their terrarium?
Will they eat fish flakes or pellets? Algae wafers? Those hermit crab pellets commercially available? Peas? Strawberries? Do I really need fresh and salt water dishes? Please enlighten me on their diet in full detail. (edit) Can they eat fish flavoured dog/cat food?
For the tank or crabitat can I add a second floor? Like a sturdy platform, with walls and a ramp. Fake plants or real plants? heating pad or light? How often should I clean the cage? Will I need to remove the old bedding or just the top layer?
What kind of artificial or simulated enrichment to you guys recommend I give them? Capsules with food? Shelters?

Usually close to getting the pet (or fish) I panic because I know now they are going to be in my care for a very long time. I feel so guilty of the conditions my hermit crabs when I was little were in (hence research and getting help for if I get them again).

Last edited:

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I need more in depth help with this because there are only a few up-to-date sources of care and information on hermit crabs. I can't adopt a hermit crab because no one in my city of a million people have anything on Craig's List or Kijiji selling their crab. I am not going outside of my town to get 'em because; (A) I get car sick, (B) they are hours away and I don't know how to drive, and (C) it'll be too much stress on the hermit crab and us. My sources for anything but cats and dogs are fairly limited so many "high quality" foods or substrates (doesn't matter the brand) may not be accessible in certain cities, provinces/territories, and countries.

(I took this little section from my other thread) I still can't bring isopods into the house so the care for the hermit crabs will be a little more work. Assuming they like live plants, maybe I should plant some lettuce, strawberries, dandelions, ferns or something in their terrarium?
Will they eat fish flakes or pellets? Algae wafers? Those hermit crab pellets commercially available? Peas? Strawberries? Do I really need fresh and salt water dishes? Please enlighten me on their diet in full detail. (edit) Can they eat fish flavoured dog/cat food?
For the tank or crabitat can I add a second floor? Like a sturdy platform, with walls and a ramp. Fake plants or real plants? heating pad or light? How often should I clean the cage? Will I need to remove the old bedding or just the top layer?
What kind of artificial or simulated enrichment to you guys recommend I give them? Capsules with food? Shelters?

Usually close to getting the pet (or fish) I panic because I know now they are going to be in my care for a very long time. I feel so guilty of the conditions my hermit crabs when I was little were in (hence research and getting help for if I get them again).
Here you go: HERMIT-CRABS.COM
I googled "care of a hermit crab".

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks I searched up "Hermit Crab Care" and I've never seen that one show up.
You just didn't hold your mouth right while you were typing lol! That site seems to have everything about hermit crabs you ever want to know in it!

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You just didn't hold your mouth right while you were typing lol! That site seems to have everything about hermit crabs you ever want to know in it!
I am not great at wording things correctly (aside from me getting an english/LA award last year lol). Good to know it has everything.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have been keeping hermit crabs for four years, and I don’t recommend them to anyone who isn’t ready to make a huge commitment, or go out of their way sometimes to care for them. These guys cannot be slacked on, left out, have their special needs forgotten, or else you risk some dangers. The best example of this would be purchasing quality foods to cover the entire nutritional food pyramid, gathering oddball supplies for them that you never thought you’d ever be using, and basically being a crazy crabber with all the antics you pick up along the way.

When you become an all out crabber, which is basically the stage I am in, people start to think you’re crazy, my parents still don’t understand why my crabs need to eat eight different types of foods a day, or why I can’t just pour in a quick dish of pellets and call it a day, it just doesn’t work that way.

The website that you were given is very good, a bit of the information is outdated, but I have read the entire page, and all links within, there is much more to a hermit crab one the common eye can percept, you learn these things once it’s too late. I adopted all of my crabs, except for two, which I have had going in my tank for two years now, almost three in the next few months to come. I even have babies that were captive bred, which are coming to me by mail very soon, just under the size of a penny, while some of my crabs are as big as a tennis ball.

I haven’t been very active or participant of this forum much lately, as I stopped keeping fish recently, and have been dedicating a lot of my time elsewhere, but I am going to return to post hermit crab updates regularly, and your thread caught my eye. We have another crabber on here who is very experienced with hermit crabs, they may be of assistance as well.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom