Getting Started and Stocking Ideas

1. richieguy309 Initiate Member

Hello there! I stumbled upon this site while looking for some information for my 20 gallon tank a few months ago and figured this would be the site to ask questions about my new project: a 120g wide freshwater tank. My brother and I decided that we were slowly going to work our way towards having a stable large community tank, but the jump from 20g to 120g is quite a bit. Therefore I am asking for your help.

For starters, equipment. We have decided to go with a Rena xp3 cannister filter and a marineland penguin 350b HOB filter and two 250W heaters on each end of the aquarium to balance out temperature, which will be at roughly 76-79 degrees F.

Now for Stocking. We have decided to slowly add different fish or different groups at different times since we simply won't have the money all at once and I don't want to stress out the fish by adding all of them at once. Here is what we were thinking:

1. 10 Glofish assorted colors (Already have 2 in 20g)
    2. Black Molly (Already have in 20g)
    3. Goldust Molly (already in 20g)
    4. Sunburst Platy (Already in 20g)
    5. 2 Tiger Loaches (Already have 1 in 20g)
    6. 1 African Butterflyfish
    7. 8 Glass Catfish (already have 3 in 20g)
    8. 6 Mystery Snails (Already have 2 in 20g that coexist with Tiger Loaches rather well)
    9. 10 African Dwarf Frogs
    10. 15 ghost shrimp
    and possibly either
    11. 5 turquoise rainbowfish OR
    12. 10 Cardinal Tetra

So my question to you is...what do you think? Any ideas on equipment, stocking, etc. Any input would be great as I am fairly new (6 mos) and plan on having this aquarium running by August and hopefully fully stocked between then and October. Thanks again!

2. SJ408 Initiate Member

I think this list is good as long as everyone has somewhere to hide and swim around!

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!

ADF's have absolutely no business being in a tank that large with so many fish to out compete them for food.

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, that particular tank is no place for frogs, depending on what 20gal you have that may work for them if its the 20 long.

The rest of the list seems fine thou, the glo fish may get eaten by the butterfly fish eventually depending on size at addition.

5. richieguy309 Initiate Member

Thanks all for the imput.

@Lucy and pirahnah3 I had intended to somewhat mimic a shoreline dropoff so that the dwarf frogs would have a small sandbar closer to the top and a small place for them to lounge and feed closer to the surface. The sandbar would be about 8 to 10 inches higher than the rest of the aquarium floor, and about 10" to 1' out with pvc pipe covered in sand and rock to use as caves for the fish to hide in. Would this not work? I figured the larger fish that they tend to compete with would stay in the deeper side more.

I am keeping the 20g but want to convert it to a small saltwater tank for two clownfish. I might purchase a 10g or another 20g for the frogs to have a species only environment.

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Still don't think I would chance it myself.
    The frogs won't know that they're suppossed to stay on the sand bar. :)

7. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed, the frogs will most likely do exactly what you don't want them to do when you put them in the tank.

I really like the idea of getting them their own 10gal. You could also put some cool nano fish in there as well.

8. richieguy309 Initiate Member

Alright then I think I need to save up for a 10g tank. Thanks again for your input. I'll post pictures when its all done.

9. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Wont take long, craigslist is full of them and you can easily talk people down on price.