Getting some peacock gudgeons :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexW

Reaction score
Some PVC pipes are always a great thing to have in with them, and if you have pvc pipes there's a chance you might get some babies, so a live micro food culture of some sort wouldn't be out of order (microworms, vinigar eels etc.)

Congrats and make sure to get some pics!
Oh yeah... and don't keep them in with anything long finned, nasty fin nippers they are.

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Where the Greatest Team of All resides ;)
Experience
Just started
I just bought some a few days ago As they're my first ones, I can't really offer any advice. They're very pretty fish though, my are still juvies, and I can't really accurately sex them yet. When I was researching, however, a suggested ratio was 1 male to 2 females. I don't think this is strict though, just a suggestion. Are you buying juvies or adults?

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've kept them before. They are really neat fish. My advice is to keep them in a species tank or with calm tank mates, as IMO they are shy fish that are easily outcompeted for food.

OP
jetajockey

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yeah i'm going to start them off in a 10g and see who/what will work with them. I believe these will be young adults but I'm not sure, ordering from an in-state guy from fishinabowl.com . Only thing that bites is he won't guarantee sexes, so I just have to get a handful and hope for the best lol.

I'm going to get 5 for now, maybe a few more from another source if there is some breeding potential, since ive never seen anything like these locally.

OP
jetajockey

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just bought some a few days ago As they're my first ones, I can't really offer any advice. They're very pretty fish though, my are still juvies, and I can't really accurately sex them yet. When I was researching, however, a suggested ratio was 1 male to 2 females. I don't think this is strict though, just a suggestion. Are you buying juvies or adults?
your post about them is what got me interested, so thank you

ray_sj

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
When I first got mine, I had them in a 10g quarantine tank for almost 2 months. They always seemed somewhat stressed in that size tank. They regularly had frayed fins and spent a lot of time hiding. After I moved them to my 29 gal, those issues disappeared.

I also had trouble getting them to eat flake food initially. I had to feed them frozen food, and gradually introduce flakes over a month.

My peacock gudgeons are apparently VERY sensitive to "contaminants" in the water. Even half-strength doses of Stress Coat, MelaFix or PimaFix would irritate their gills and cause them to flash violently. They just like plain, clean water.

Still, they're beautiful fish! Good luck!

OP
jetajockey

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I first got mine, I had them in a 10g quarantine tank for almost 2 months. They always seemed somewhat stressed in that size tank. They regularly had frayed fins and spent a lot of time hiding. After I moved them to my 29 gal, those issues disappeared.

I also had trouble getting them to eat flake food initially. I had to feed them frozen food, and gradually introduce flakes over a month.

My peacock gudgeons are apparently VERY sensitive to "contaminants" in the water. Even half-strength doses of Stress Coat, MelaFix or PimaFix would irritate their gills and cause them to flash violently. They just like plain, clean water.

Still, they're beautiful fish! Good luck!
that's good information to know. How many did you keep in the 10g? I was debating on where to put them after QT

OP
jetajockey

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thanks. After QT i'm going to likely put them in a bigger community tank but if there's any issues i'm going to separate them into pairs and into smaller tanks. I ordered them this morning so I'm not sure when they'll be here, since it's saturday.

OP
jetajockey

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
update: had to cancel the order, the guy was taking too long so I asked for a refund. He said he had stocking issues, that combined with only shipping 1 day a week is kinda well..yeah, anyway. Since I'm planning to get new tanks very soon I'm going to wait until I get them going well before I attempt to find peacocks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom