Getting some CPDs finally!!

Discussion in 'Celestial Pearl Danio' started by stargazerwolf, Jul 23, 2015.

1. stargazerwolf

stargazerwolf Valued Member Member

I'm so excited that I found a good auction deal of CPDs on Aquabid. I could buy them locally, but they are $7 each, well on Aquabid I'm getting 10 for $35 and about $12 shipping, so way better deal. They will be going in my 20 long. Currently I also have 3 male guppies and some snails. I plan to get one or two other small fish groups and eventually add some adult shrimp once mine breed in my 10 gallon. I can't wait. I've been wanting these guys for a couple years now. I had gotten some eggs at one point, they hatched but I moved and they must have died :( Well my other 20 long also ended up shattering when I moved and that was over a year ago. I finally have a 20 long tank set up at my grooming salon and it is ready for more fish!! I really am so excited and no one I know can understand so I am posting this lol.

2. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

I got 7 CPDs for my 10 gallon cherry shrimp tank several months ago. They are awesome little fish, and so colorful! Hope yours arrive safely.

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Congrats, they're lovely fish & easy to breed too which is a bonus, don't forget the pics when they've settled in :)

4. OP
    OP
    stargazerwolf

Thanks you guys. I'm super excited. I have heard they aren't too hard to breed, though I don't care if they do, it'd be cool if they did. I will definitely post pics when they are settled, I probably won't get them til next week.

5. OP
    OP
    stargazerwolf

I got them in the mail a day late, because they tried to deliver before I was there to get them (at my work place so they wouldn't sit in the heat). They were in a box for 3 days, one was dead on arrival, two others ended up dying as they were pretty much there when I got them. But 7 survived. They have colored up nicely and I seem to have one male and the rest female. Pretty sure 2 that died were males :/ Two of the survivors are still looking a bit thin. I am feeding often to help. I also plan to get a few more from the local pet store soon to add more to the school. Even already I love these tiny guys :D

6. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

I really like mine. Sorry that you lost several. How are they doing now? Are yours skittish? Mine are very shy even after months in their tank.

7. OP
    OP
    stargazerwolf

Well I only lost 3 of 10 so not too bad for 3 days in a box. My 7 are doing great though 2 still look kind of skinny they are eating well. Mine were skittish at first and wouldn't come out of the two favorite corners but now they swim all over and even will come eat when the guppies do. They do swim away quick if I open the top to feed or whatever but once they realize there is food they come right back. I still want to pick up at least 3 more so they have a bigger group. I know they are less shy when in bigger groups.

8. Genobreaker

Genobreaker Well Known Member Member

Yeah I think they do better in larger numbers. I have a dozen and they haven't been shy at all and I have larger fish like BA tetras with them.

9. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

That's defo not my experience. Noticed they are less shy in a community than in a species-only tank (even in bigger groups they are quite skittish).
    In a conmunity they are brave little fish.
    Funny this different behaviour hahaha

10. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry for your losses.....

11. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Getting thin is one of the common issues with CPD's. One of the reasons I quit keeping and breeding CPD's . Same thing with the CPD's of my son living in Germany.
    There has be suspesion (and thread) about being very prone to fish-tb.
    I doubt that's the reason but can't tell what it is neither

12. OP
    OP
    stargazerwolf

My CPDs seem to be even more bold now. They rush past the guppies now. They are starting to look pretty good, even the ones that were skinny and the ones that looked fine are now fattening up good, the females look like maybe they are starting to carry eggs? The male has shown breeding behavior with the girls, like quite a bit so I'm just waiting to see if they actually breed. I'm thinking about putting more moss, especially around the driftwood they like to hang out near to see if that helps. I'm hoping the guppies won't end up eating the eggs..

13. Genobreaker

Genobreaker Well Known Member Member

The cpds will eat the eggs also.

14. OP
    OP
    stargazerwolf

My CPDs are doing great in case anyone was wondering. They are super healthy and I plan to add a few more to the tank. I am going to try some more moss (when i get around to it) and see if they will lay eggs, then may transfer to my shrimp tank (I've read that shrimp will not eat the eggs). I'm not in a rush for them to breed though.

15. OP
    OP
    stargazerwolf

Well I have had my CPDs quite awhile now, they are still doing great. I ended up getting some Emerald Dwarf Rasboras, only 4 because that's all the store had, but they ended up schooling with the CPDs...The CPDs were out and about a lot til they started schooling with them, they continued to hide even with more stuff in the tank. So I decided to pull out the Emerald Dwarf Rasboras and put them in my 10 gallon. If they still hide, i may move the CPDs to the 10 also and just get some bigger fish that are easier to see for the 20 long because its at my grooming salon and I want people to be able to see the fish lol.

16. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Cpd's & the emerald dwarfs are closely related & can interbreed, I wouldn't put them back together.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice