Getting Shrimp To Show Color

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by SixThreeOh, Aug 5, 2017.

1. SixThreeOh

SixThreeOh Well Known Member Member

My Blue Diamonds tend to stay black/chocolate brown the majority of the time. Water parameters are all good and they don't seem stressed/scared at all.

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Giving this a bump up for you

3. Aludar

Aludar Valued Member Member

I've had blue dreams for about a year now and have add all sorts of shades. Could just be your genetics keeping them on the darker shade of the line.

ecf0d89c8099f765d4ac7012008e8ee4.jpg

All from the original same batch of 10 I started with

4. OP
    OP
    SixThreeOh

I have a few dark ones, but most are pretty nice blues now. I don't know why, but they all started showing color one day.

5. T

Trenix Valued Member Member

I had this problem too with red cherry shrimp. I bought some Neon Tetra, fed them those TetraColor Plus Tropical Flakes, and the shrimp got at the flakes too. Day later, my shrimp appeared more red. Then again, my new generation of shrimp are growing, so most don't have their color yet. Also I recently added tons of plants. I heard the darker the surface they're on, they begin to show their color more. So if they're on lightly colored surfaces, they lose their color. Still, I believe these flakes bring out their color. Not 100% sure, but it's something I'm testing now.

6. OP
    OP
    SixThreeOh

Actually going to be adding some fish in tomorrow, so mine will be getting those flakes. Hope they make mine color up even more.

7. T

Let me know if it made a difference.

8. FishRFriendz

FishRFriendz Well Known Member Member

LRBretts likes to use tetra color granules on just about everything. Prolly feeds his kids with it too lol

9. D

Duckyn Valued Member Member

I keep hearing stories where shrimp were introduced to fish (i.e. predators) and before long, their colors became a lot brighter. So maybe the fish themselves will help?

10. T

Very possible. But then again, because there are fish, they're now eating the same food, and that could play a factor. Right now my shrimp are gaining a whole lot color, before they were all almost completely transparent. Now ever since I increase the temperature from 72 to 76, introduced fish, and am feeding them neon tetra flakes, they are gaining tons of color. I think my biggest problem is having light substrate though.

11. D

Sounds like everything's coming together. I hope you find a nice sale on some darker substrate!

12. T

I have a planted aquarium, it's too late for that. But I'm trying to make it heavily planted, hopefully my green plants will make them bring out their color. I'm going to try and get my whole substrate covered, except maybe some sand so both my fish and shrimp can play in. Surprisingly, my shrimp really love rummaging in the sand.

13. D

Ah, I can see why that's not an option. Plants are always nice! I didn't realize that shrimps like sandboxes. I'll have to keep that in mind for my future shrimp tank. Thanks for the info!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice