Getting Rummy Nose Through Quarantine

tfreema
Member
I have high ph at about 7.8 so I bought my batch of 6 rummynose, floated the bags to match temp then poured out into bowl to start adding tank water every fifteen minutes over the course of an hour. The QT is fully cycled for months so well established with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-10 nitrates. Temp at 77.5.

Three died within days so I went back to lfs to get three more wanting to get a full batch through quarantine together. Got home to find one more dead. Added the three that had perfectly colored red little noses. Well they all faded and died except one. Btw- I bought a batch of otos at the same time which are notorious for not surviving QT and lost only one.

I have had rummynose in the past with this same ph level water so I just don't get what could be the problem. I have been at this a few years so I know cycling, acclimating, and water conditions necessary for the health of my fish.

I wanted them as dither fish in my krib tank. Maybe I need to consider another tetra. But what do I do with the one poor lonely fellow? :-(
QT is over this week and I need to move him somewhere.....

Any ideas on why the rummy nose are not surviving?
 
  • Moderator
Coradee
Moderator
Member
Bumping this up for you
 
DoubleDutch
Member
Do you know if the LFS-water had the same Ph?
 
  • Moderator
smee82
Moderator
Member
Could possibly just be a buch of bad stock. If your still interested I would just wait for for a month or so and try again or another lfs. They might get a better batch in
 
  • Thread Starter
tfreema
Member
DoubleDutch said:
Do you know if the LFS-water had the same Ph?
I do not know the lfs ph. I will ask or test it myself when I get more fish. I did a slow acclimation.

smee82 said:
Could possibly just be a buch of bad stock. If your still interested I would just wait for for a month or so and try again or another lfs. They might get a better batch in
I may see if the other lfs in the area can order a batch. I have never seen them in stock there. Several lfs about 45 min away too. I may just do that.

Thanks!
 
Dragones5150918
Member
I'm running into the same problem, and working on it with my LPS. Their tetra tanks are running 6.4ph, while mine is running 8.0ph (because if my low KH). I've lost 3 Rummies in 5 days, and it was the ones that I did only an hour to acclimate them. The replacements I did 3 hour acclimation and are doing good so far. I didn't realize they were running the tetra tanks so low in pH, I based my info on another set of tanks on a different system and thought they all ran the same pH.

Another thing my LPS suggested is shipment problems....which we both think is contributing to what I'm going through. My LPS gets their fish by mail, and their source is not very considerate to the fish. If he orders say 24 Rummies, they put all 24 in the same bag, and when he gets them they have ammonia poisoning and gasping for air, plus a couple of dead in the bag. It takes (for us at least) 2 to 4 days for the order to arrive, so he has been having lots of problems.

Edit:. He does not order that quantity though trying to prevent the problem. He orders small batches, max 12, but it's still hard on the fish with the ammonia build up in those bags.

So my suggestion is to check your LFS to see what their pH is at, and also find out how they get their fish and shipping timing.
 
  • Thread Starter
tfreema
Member
Dragones5150918 said:
I'm running into the same problem, and working on it with my LPS. Their tetra tanks are running 6.4ph, while mine is running 8.0ph (because if my low KH). I've lost 3 Rummies in 5 days, and it was the ones that I did only an hour to acclimate them. The replacements I did 3 hour acclimation and are doing good so far. I didn't realize they were running the tetra tanks so low in pH, I based my info on another set of tanks on a different system and thought they all ran the same pH.

Another thing my LPS suggested is shipment problems....which we both think is contributing to what I'm going through. My LPS gets their fish by mail, and their source is not very considerate to the fish. If he orders say 24 Rummies, they put all 24 in the same bag, and when he gets them they have ammonia poisoning and gasping for air, plus a couple of dead in the bag. It takes (for us at least) 2 to 4 days for the order to arrive, so he has been having lots of problems.

Edit:. He does not order that quantity though trying to prevent the problem. He orders small batches, max 12, but it's still hard on the fish with the ammonia build up in those bags.

So my suggestion is to check your LFS to see what their pH is at, and also find out how they get their fish and shipping timing.
Great information. My lfs orders fish for me to pick up the same day leaving them in the bag shipped bypassing the exposure to their tanks.

I think I will ask him about shipping procedures and to order a batch of six for me and test the water they are in to determine the extent of acclimation needed.

Thanks for helping me come up with a plan. I love rummy nose and hopeful I can keep them successfully.
 
  • Thread Starter
tfreema
Member
The one rummy nose that was left was moved to the krib tank yesterday. It has colored up nicely already and the kribs are out more now.
Now I just need to get a batch through quarantine to give this little tough guy some friends.
 
  • Thread Starter
tfreema
Member
UPDATE: in two days 5 rummy nose will finish quarantine and get to go in main tank. Yay! I did start with 7, but 5 plus the one I already had, I will have a decent size school of 6.

Turns out the lfs ph is very close to mine so no idea why they kept dying. Bad stock I guess.

Now, I had 8 von rio tetras, but only 2 have survived the quarantine process so I get to try those again.......
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom