Getting Rocks For My 75 Gallon Tank

THRESHER

Hey guyz and gals, tomorrow I'm going to a landscaping supply place and I'm going to get some rocks for my cichlid tank. I'd like to know what rocks are safe. I'll bring a bottle of white vinegar to test as I don't have access to acid. I've seen videos on youtube by the DIY king and how to test for safe rocks.

I'd like to pick up slate rocks and some other rocks that have some sort of crystal to them to build hideaways for my boys. I'd like to add some bling.

Anything I should be aware of so I won't poison my fish? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Parkerbenz

A few years back I bought slate from home depot, it worked out fine, zero issues with it. From what ive read, you don't need to acid test rocks that are going into tanks for rift lake fish. Texas holey rock, which is one of the most popular rocks for african cichlid tanks, is made of limestone. I may be wrong, (and please correct me if I am!) but it will slightly raise the ph, which is great for african cichlids!

THRESHER

Hmm, that sound like a real good option. I'm gonna check my local home depot for the slate rocks. They're easier to work with and will make great caves/hideways for my cichlids. Dunno about the holy rocks tho, but I'll check and see if the landscaping place has anything like it. I did a 30% water change today and took out all the terracotta pots. Hopefully they'll enjoy the rocks I get.

Parkerbenz

I stopped by the garden section at home depot, and it seems like they no longer have slate. If you have any landscaping supply companies near you, id suggest either giving them a call, or show up and ask if they sell small quantities of slate. They should, but there are always those few companies that do not allow it lol.

THRESHER

Today after work I stopped by a landscaping supply place near my job. I spoke to the office girl (good looking one too!) if it was possible I can get a bucket or 2 of rocks for my aquariums and she said sure. Just show her the buckets of rocks and she'll give me a price accordingly. So that's what I did. I also got a large slab of slate. Total cost was $12

Washing rocks and slate now to put them in the tank. My fish are gonna enjoy the new scape. I'll post pics.

Day before I took off the background and painted it with stone finish. Looks really nice, but for some reason my phone's camera pics it up in blue

IMG_20180920_180234.jpg

Parkerbenz

Wow that looks awesome! Glad everything worked out!

THRESHER

Wow that looks awesome! Glad everything worked out!

Thanks! I can't believe a few rocks and the slate was something like 40lbs! I have more rocks and slate leftover, but ran out of room in the tank. Didn't want to overcrowd the tank with rocks.

*Edit*

Swapped around alittle bit and added the cobbles.

IMG_20180921_194324.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
waterpat
  • Question
Replies
Views
trahana
Replies
Views
CichlidJynx