Getting rid of pond snails

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I know that there’s assassin snails and I’m considering grabbing one, but I have trapdoor snails in there too and no ones been able to guarantee they wouldn’t be affected.
I may just remove them for a time and let the assassin snail have at it.
Rotate snails in the tanks.
Is there another decent way to get rid of them aside from just chucking them?

I went from 3 pond snails to over 30 in a week. I’m not ok with that considering they’ll explode in numbers again soon.
That’s just in one tank.

mimo91088

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They'll die back if you limit them on available food. This includes algae if you have it. Once they work their way through their food source the population will die back to a manageable level. Snails are a beneficial part of a healthy ecosystem.

(I post this response so often my phone can now predict what I'm going to type)

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if your fish are getting food so are your snails. ive had ramhorn snails in their 100's wiped out by using clown loaches. the Malaysian trumpet snails had to be removed by hand but they weren't in plague proportions.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think pond snails could survive a nuclear blast. Them and cockroaches.

OP
Addictedtobettas

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mimo91088 said:
They'll die back if you limit them on available food. This includes algae if you have it. Once they work their way through their food source the population will die back to a manageable level. Snails are a beneficial part of a healthy ecosystem.

(I post this response so often my phone can now predict what I'm going to type)
I have no problem with the snails I want in there (the trapdoor snails keep the sand spotless), or the pond snails in moderation. But in order to keep the ADF, 2 plecos and the 2 (potentially 9 soon) Panda Corys well fed certain things must exist with regards to food sources. No ones truly overfed as far as I can tell - except Mickey the little piggy angelfish.

Once every other week they fast for a day or two and usually once a month they fast for 4-5 days. But none of that is going to be enough to drop off the snail population as its expanding now 3 > 30 > ??

New Threads