Getting Rid Of Pests

avaspaghetti

New Member
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Points
1
I have had a 15 gal red cherry shrimp aquarium for a couple years and I decided to restart it and get some African Dwarf frogs as I have had them before and I like them. This is mainly because the aquarium was infested with pond snails and what I think is water fleas. I really tried to get the new tank up and running without any these pests. I didn't want to buy a bunch of new plants so I bleach dipped them, I boiled the wood, cleaned the heater, and bought a new sponge filter. I added some 'Nutrafin cycle' to start the cycle and have been letting cycle for about a month. I have just found five pond snails, some eggs sacs, a few of the same bugs that I think are water fleas and now some skinny white worms that I think are Detritus worms. I need to get all of them out and I won't put frogs in until it is clear of these things. In my old aquarium, the little bugs (possibly water fleas) and the snails were quite a nuisance. Since I don't have any fish or frogs in it yet is there any solution I can put it in to exterminate them? What else would you recommend?
(attached is a picture of the aquarium, I ordered a few more things online so it is not fully done yet. There will be more plants as well in case that matters)
 

Attachments

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
2,515
Points
288
Experience
2 years
Water fleas are easily eliminated with the addition of almost any fish. They are a popular food source.

Pond snails have to be taken out early. Pick them out yourself as well as the eggs. Alternatively you could hire some assassin (snails!) to murder them.
 

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,658
Reaction score
2,017
Points
498
Experience
More than 10 years
If you didnt treat the substrate thats probably where the snails have come from. If they really bother you i would resart your tank and retreat everythng
you cant stop water fleas they get in from your water.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

avaspaghetti

New Member
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Discus-Tang said:
Water fleas are easily eliminated with the addition of almost any fish. They are a popular food source.

Pond snails have to be taken out early. Pick them out yourself as well as the eggs. Alternatively you could hire some assassin (snails!) to murder them.
How long will this take? Is it 100% effective? What fish would you recommend to do the job quickly? So there isn't a chemical I can put in the water to kill them?

smee82 said:
If you didnt treat the substrate thats probably where the snails have come from. If they really bother you i would resart your tank and retreat everythng
you cant stop water fleas they get in from your water.
How can I keep both to a minimum? In my old tank, there would be like a hundred on the leaves of plants. I do water changes and use a gravel vac once every 2 weeks. There isn't any chemical to completely kill all of them?
 

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
748
Points
103
IMO- Its very hard to have a planted tank and no snails whatsoever. Unless you buy every plant tissue cultured, the odd snail (or egg) is going to get in. The best way to keep on top of snails is manual removal. You could use chemicals, but even if you totally wipe them out this time, you may face them again in future. I kind of feel there is a lot of panic when people see snails and they want them gone from their tanks, but they do have a purpose and (again in my view) they are a part of a healthy planted system. I know I am in the pest snail loving minority though.
 

yukondog

Well Known Member
Messages
2,092
Reaction score
1,001
Points
198
Experience
5 years
Welcome, is this tank outside? A couple of guppy's or other small fish should help with some of the fleas the snails just remove as you find.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

avaspaghetti

New Member
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Points
1
yukondog said:
Welcome, is this tank outside? A couple of guppy's or other small fish should help with some of the fleas the snails just remove as you find.
It is inside. What other fish would you recommend? I have had guppies before but they seemed to be really messy
 

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,658
Reaction score
2,017
Points
498
Experience
More than 10 years
avaspaghetti said:
It is inside. What other fish would you recommend? I have had guppies before but they seemed to be really messy
ADFs arent really compatable with any fish.

If you keep your tank clean and remove any organic waste you really shouldnt see a very large snail population. Also snails can be benificial, i alway introduce MTSs to my tanks.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom