Funny Getting rid of hair algae with mollies

Nikao

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My son’s aquarium probably had too many nutrients in it, so hair algae grew in everything.
I took out his little bikinI bottom guys out and washed them off, did a 75% water change and removed his fake plants and put them in my tank with mollies. I knew the mollies would do the job, I just didn’t know the Orange one of
the three would take over, eat all the algae and dominate the tank, protecting its feast. Lol

OP
Nikao

Nikao

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The betta tank is healthy with two snails, a Nerite and a Mystery. It just has algae. I want the snails to clean up the rest. Fish are healthy.

It is fun to watch the molly boss around the tiger barbs:)

zorianak

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh gosh hair algae.. I had an issue with that in my 20 gallon and flat-out threw everything I could at it until I finally took it down and replaced it with my 36G.

The 36G is in the same position, same plants, and I probably still over-do its feeding.. but the main difference is I threw away the HOB asap and replaced with a cannister filter.

Still, noted, haha. I don't know why I've never liked mollies as much, but maybe it's time to invest in one for my nano tank.. it's next to where I've seedlings for my non-aquarium garden so it gets way too much light right now and has some hair algae beginning to pop up

zorianak

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Amazoniantanklvr said:
Mollies don't belong in a nano. They need a 20 gal+
I promise I was joking.. Sorry, text and intent and all that :) I just have been keeping its tank lights off in the meantime - it'll correct itself in April when the seedlings can be replanted

New Threads