20 Gallon Tank Getting rid of green water algae with GKM

Lakoza1

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I’ve determined I have green water algae. I can link the cause in this relatively new tank ( up for 2 months, was fishless cycled after 3 weeks, is dirted and capped with twice as much all purpose sand, and heavily planted.) to having upped the photo period from 10 to 12 hours, using both the blue and the red-white-green lights.

To correct: I brought the photo period down to 8.5 hours, and shut off the blue lights. I did daily 15% water changes. Did this for a week- it did not help.

I bought the green killing machine- which is a recommended brand of UV sterilizer. I installed this 1.5 days ago and it’s working. I’m going to post pics- hopefully in a few days the water will go clear again!!

IMG_3591.JPG

Before GKM
IMG_3594.JPG

After 1 day.
IMG_3597.JPG

After 1.5 days ( I can see more of a difference in real life.

SaltyPhone

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That window is probably a huge contributor. Keep the curtains closed will help exponentially. In addition you may consider a total blackout for a couple days. Your plants will take a beating but with proper care they should bounce back and the algae should die back

wrs2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a tank with green water. I went on vacation and had the light off for a few days with the curtains and blinds in the room closed. Came back to a crystal clear tank. It was heavily planted and the plants were fine without light for a few days.

OP
Lakoza1

Lakoza1

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The Green Killing Machine has cleared the water, but I will be keeping the photo period short, and will close the windows of it comes back. I spend a lot of time studying in this room soon do keep the windows open during the day. Here’s the last couple days’ photos. I’ll post after this afternoon’s water change too:

Wednesday:
IMG_3602.JPG

Thursday:

IMG_3607.JPG

Today:

IMG_3609.JPG

OP
Lakoza1

Lakoza1

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Here it is after a 25% water change today; I’m thinking after one more day I’ll start running the GKM for a few hours each day; up to this point I’ve had it on constantly.
IMG_3613.JPG

SaltyPhone

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Glad to see it looks like you are making some progress. I’d still recommend if possible moving the tank out of direct sunlight. Looking good though; keep us updated with the tank!

pagoda

Well Known
Reaction score
I have had great success with GKM's....mine run 12 hours on/12 hours off

I use them in all four aquariums, one of them is the standard filter type and the other three are the airstone type

OP
Lakoza1

Lakoza1

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I will get a timer for sure- all my aquariums have their lights on timers and for me that’s the way to go to ensure things stay consistent. I’m so glad to hear others use this too. For me, avoiding sunlight is not really feasible for any of my tanks, so mitigating algae is necessary.

New Threads