Getting rid of Columnaris

Bettamay

I didn’t know where to put this, I hope it’s right adding this here.

Hello, my betta fish Reef, died of columnaris yesterday. I was wondering what to do with the tank to prevent other new fish from catching the disease, as my fish died in less than 12 hours. I had a guppy in there (unnamed) when Reef got columnaris, but she isn’t showing any signs of the sickness. I’m wondering if it’s

1. Ok to give the guppy to petco
2. How to rid the tank of the germs so future fish don’t get it.

It’s kind of confusing and all, knowing that columnaris is in the tank all along, but only when a fish catches it it’s contagious. I guess my real question is

3. How does columnaris go from fish to fish.

UnknownUser

Columnaris is a bacteria that lives in the water naturally and is considered opportunistic, meaning it takes the opportunity to attack a fish when it sees a weakness in the fish from stress or wounds. If the guppy is in good health, likely it will not get columnaris, especially since your betta died so quickly. Petco might take the guppy back, or you can rehome it to someone else, or an LFS might take it. You can add new fish immediately to the tank as long as the guppy doesn’t get columnaris and/or the tank is empty. Since it’s already in the water, there’s no reason to try to clean the tank or anything.

Hope that answers some of your questions!

Upvote 0

Bettamay

Ok, thank you! I was just so confused about if I had to get rid of the bacteria if it was going to come back.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Redshark1
  • Question
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
AvalancheDave