Question Getting Rid Of Brown Algae/diatoms

AnglerTheStrangler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out what is causing this brown algae in my tank. I know it’s diatoms but does anyone have experience with getting rid of it? It’s on the glass and it looks horrible and is a huge pain. Anyone have any experience with getting rid of it?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
10 gallon.

It’s just gravel. Neither the gravel or the tank is new. What’s Silica?
Tx. Silicates are what encourages diatoms to grow. It could be in your water source. I have a tank going since 2010, I still get diatoms in it (and all my other tanks without fish or inverts to eat them).

For a 10g, I suggest you get a couple nerite snails. One nerite in my 5.5g keeps it sparkly clean.

AnglerTheStrangler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Tx. Silicates are what encourages diatoms to grow. It could be in your water source. I have a tank going since 2010, I still get diatoms in it (and all my other tanks without fish or inverts to eat them).

For a 10g, I suggest you get a couple nerite snails. One nerite in my 5.5g keeps it sparkly clean.
How are Betta’s with Nerite Snails?

AnglerTheStrangler

Well Known Member
Reaction score

How should I go about scraping it off the glass? If I’m not doing a water change today is it still ok to scrape it off and just vacuum the gravel next time I do a WC?

Mollieworld

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
How should I go about scraping it off the glass? If I’m not doing a water change today is it still ok to scrape it off and just vacuum the gravel next time I do a WC?
Bettas with other company inverts and fish are purely dependent on the betta. You wont know until you try. They are a great clean up crew of any diatom/algae out break.

To clean it off anything just use a clean kitchen sponge free of soap or any cleaners or use an algae scrubber for tanks, use a clean never used toothbrush for hard to reach places or off decor. The secret is to try and get it all out of your tank, if your cleaning and let it go into the water column you will never be free of it.

If your betta is just fine with company then I would just leave it all alone and let the snails go to town on it.

AnglerTheStrangler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Bettas with other company inverts and fish are purely dependent on the betta. You wont know until you try. They are a great clean up crew of any diatom/algae out break.

To clean it off anything just use a clean kitchen sponge free of soap or any cleaners or use an algae scrubber for tanks, use a clean never used toothbrush for hard to reach places or off decor. The secret is to try and get it all out of your tank, if your cleaning and let it go into the water column you will never be free of it.

If your betta is just fine with company then I would just leave it all alone and let the snails go to town on it.
So scrape and remove with water change to get rid of it as best I can? And for the snail.. should I expect any changes in bio load? And what do I feed the snail besides the algae he’s eating? Is one snail enough?

AnglerTheStrangler

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Do you have any issues with Nerite eggs? I was just doing a little research and it seems like that’s the only downside if you have a female. Is there a way to tell if they are male or female?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have any issues with Nerite eggs? I was just doing a little research and it seems like that’s the only downside if you have a female. Is there a way to tell if they are male or female?
The only way to tell nerite sex is if you don't get eggs, it's a male. Honestly I never saw eggs in my 5.5g and I added 10 nerites from my 120g. It's like they only lay eggs if they have a ton to eat. But I did see them here and there in my 120g. They seemed to all lay the eggs on a fake cholla wood ornament with lots of small crannies and uneven surface. When I removed it, I saw the underside was full of eggs, and after that I noticed a few elsewhere. So if I ever see eggs again (I have a bunch of males atm), I will add some place for them to lay eggs at the back.

Honestly, they don't bother me, but I know they bother other ppl. They dissolve pretty quickly and scape off easily in my soft water anyway. But other than I mentioned, I don't know of any way to deal nerite eggs.

Tbh, I didn't think about the betta when I suggested nerites. But nerites are trap door snails, so they can just close their door to stay safe in the shell if the betta picks at them. The most vulnerable part for a nerite is their little antennas. A lot of bettas are tolerant of nerites tho.

I would get two for your 10g. They will feed on your continuing brown algae, you won't see it because they'll eat it all up as it grows, but they are always feeding. You can also feed them veggies high in calcium like kale and spinach.

AnglerTheStrangler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The only way to tell nerite sex is if you don't get eggs, it's a male. Honestly I never saw eggs in my 5.5g and I added 10 nerites from my 120g. It's like they only lay eggs if they have a ton to eat. But I did see them here and there in my 120g. They seemed to all lay the eggs on a fake cholla wood ornament with lots of small crannies and uneven surface. When I removed it, I saw the underside was full of eggs, and after that I noticed a few elsewhere. So if I ever see eggs again (I have a bunch of males atm), I will add some place for them to lay eggs at the back.

Honestly, they don't bother me, but I know they bother other ppl. They dissolve pretty quickly and scape off easily in my soft water anyway. But other than I mentioned, I don't know of any way to deal nerite eggs.

Tbh, I didn't think about the betta when I suggested nerites. But nerites are trap door snails, so they can just close their door to stay safe in the shell if the betta picks at them. The most vulnerable part for a nerite is their little antennas. A lot of bettas are tolerant of nerites tho.

I would get two for your 10g. They will feed on your continuing brown algae, you won't see it because they'll eat it all up as it grows, but they are always feeding. You can also feed them veggies high in calcium like kale and spinach.
Thanks for the info. Guess I’ll just have to find out if my Betta is ok with them. I have two 10 gallon tanks. Both are Betta tanks and both have brown algae. Hopefully both Bettas are ok with them but if one isn’t I can always move them to the one that is. Unless they both have an issue with it than I guess I’ll have to take them back. As far as feeding them goes, how often do you have to feed your Nerites food other than the algae that grows in the tank?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the info. Guess I’ll just have to find out if my Betta is ok with them. I have two 10 gallon tanks. Both are Betta tanks and both have brown algae. Hopefully both Bettas are ok with them but if one isn’t I can always move them to the one that is. Unless they both have an issue with it than I guess I’ll have to take them back. As far as feeding them goes, how often do you have to feed your Nerites food other than the algae that grows in the tank?
I didn't feed my nerites actually. I had enough diatom in my 120g. But when I moved them all to my crystal clean 5.5g (already had one nerite in there), I added leafy greens and zucchini for them to munch on. They weren't really interested in algae wafers....

I'd get one for each of your 10g's and see if the bettas tolerate them like you planned. They might check them out, that's normal, but if they pick at them overly, that's not good.

AnglerTheStrangler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I didn't feed my nerites actually. I had enough diatom in my 120g. But when I moved them all to my crystal clean 5.5g (already had one nerite in there), I added leafy greens and zucchini for them to munch on. They weren't really interested in algae wafers....

I'd get one for each of your 10g's and see if the bettas tolerate them like you planned. They might check them out, that's normal, but if they pick at them overly, that's not good.
Oh ok, good to know. Where did you get the greens at? Do you think my LFS would have something?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom