Getting rid of a problem fish

If you had one fish that was being a problem, for whatever reason, and you had no one that could ado

• ... flush it?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ... put an ad in the newspaper?

• ... keep it and hope for the best?

• ... dump it at a pet store amd hope for the best?

• ... put it in a breeding net until you could find a home for it?

• Total voters

Jon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
its not really that mean to kill the fish... if you kill it in a humane way then the fish doesnt feel any pain and its much bettter than neglect or giving it to an owner that might not take the best care of it... your saving it from the suffering it might incur if u give it away

DAWNA

Reaction score
My loach is healthy, about 2 inches long. It killed the one fish I was really worried about and seems to be hiding more since I got 2 dojo's. I put a big pile of sea shells in a corner of the tank and it loves to explore in there. For freezing fish, I had a vet who was treating my koi for aremones and it was a long, slow death. After all the antibiotic injections I had given them and salt baths and I knew it was time for them I would put them in a plastic bag of pond water and put it in the freezer. The vet told me that it's like hypothermia in humans, they get really cold, go into a dorment state and just never come back. I always added extra salt to the water as a natural anesthetic and they went quickly and peaceful. There was no struggling to breathe, just calm. This is only for pond koi, I have no idea if it's the same for tropical fish since their surrounding temp is much higher than koi. Anyone know a vet who has an opinion about this?

Jon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i dont know any vets but i know people who say freezing is inhumane... id just use alcohol / alkaseltzer

newbie101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
yes freezing (putting the fish in water then sticking itin the freezer, not putting it headfirst in icecold water) is inhumane. Would you like to be slowly frozen alive???

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My fish vet recommended the Vodka bath also. He said it was similar to the euthanasia practiced on larger pets. They just sort of "sleep away". It still makes me :'( . So other than that little bit of information, I will leave this post to the rest of you.

Rose

Jon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
he kills larger pets with vodka? ****... i hope you dont mean like dogs or cats or stuff lol...

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
He said it was a similiar process like what's done to the larger pets. Although I guess you could give the animal so much liqour it dies, it'd take quite a large amount

Jon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
lol thats sad? just getting a pet so wasted it dies?

i thought if he was a vet he would just give em a lethal injection... i have never heard of a large pet drinking to death

EmpPleco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
This is really depressing .. I hope the term "putting to sleep" doesn't mean that, because I don't know what they do :'(

EmpPleco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
lol i don't think that's what they mean.. I think they mean they kill it similiar to a way you kill a fish with alcohol in that it doesn't suffer? I don't know. . . im confused now hhaha

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Last time I talked to a local vet. about this, they used a needle which just greatly over-anesthesized them, and that was just one of a few methods they could use.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom