Getting rid of a problem fish

?

If you had one fish that was being a problem, for whatever reason, and you had no one that could ado

1. ... flush it?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ... put an ad in the newspaper?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ... keep it and hope for the best?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ... dump it at a pet store amd hope for the best?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ... put it in a breeding net until you could find a home for it?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DAWNA Initiate Member

I have a golden loach that is being a problem, just wondering what others would do. Thanks. Dawna

2. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

when i have a problem fish i ask any of my friends who have fish if they want it then if they say no i give it to a petstore by me becuse i know they will take care of it nicely and resele it

3. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Just don't kill the loach! See if any of your friends has a tank large enough for it and would be willing to take it, and if not - give it to your store. It's not sick with no chance of recovery and it's not suffering, therefore there is absolutely no reason to kill it.

4. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

yeah that would be mean :( I would give it away either via an ad in the newspaper or dump it at the pet store

5. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

For pete's sake don't flush him!! That's the most inhumane way to kill a fish. Try to get someone who can take your fish, but only dump him at the pet store as a last resort, as most pet stores don't know much about fish and all of them will sell a fish to anyone with some sort of container with water.

6. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

That is sooooo cruel, I have no clue why it is the standard way of killing fish :( It does not kill them right away, they stay alive for a long time until they finally suffocate to death in all the toxic stuff in the sewers :(

7. beckers4oranges Member Member

flushing is inhuman....unless their dead....

8. DAWNA Initiate Member

I would never in a million years fluch my loach, even if he is eating all my other fish. I'm glad others feel the same way. I have no one with a tank that wants him (or if they want him, they wont nurture him). My pet store won't take him so I'm considering getting a smaller tank just for him, and I'll have to buy him a friend. The most humane way to dispose of a dying fish is to freeze them (this is from a fish vet) but not for healthy fish, that just ends their suffering quickly. Does anyone know anyone in Southern California that wants a golden loach? LOL Thanks for all of your comments! Dawna

9. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Dawna, that would be so nice of you to get him a separate tank, instead of just "getting rid" of him. It's good that you're against inhumane ways of getting rid of fish. But perhaps you should have some patience and search a bit more, and hopefully you'll find someone who'll be willing to take care of him. Are there any other fish stores around where you live, other than the one that you go to? If there are, and if it wouldn't be a problem for you, you could ask them. Just don't yet give up :)

Once again, how large is the loach? If it's around 3-4 inches, then I don't understand why the store you asked won't take him. They wouldn't take him even for free? But if they are to keep the loach in bad living conditions, then it's better that they don't take it at all.

10. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

If you were really desperate you could send him to me ;) :D

11. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

wat would u put it with?

12. Jon Well Known Member Member

there are better ways to get rid than flushing or freezing

both are inhumane

flushing- lives in sewage for hours before it suffers to death
    freezing- stressful and uncomfortable

if u want to kill it put it in a small bowl and put alkaseltzer under it... the carbonic acid will put it to sleep and it will die in rest or put it in a 1:5 mix of hard liquor- water and it will fall asleep and die. or give it a lethal injection

ezer just to give it away

13. Marc Well Known Member Member

Actually, since fish are cold-blooded, they sort of just.. go to sleep. If it's quick enough to get fairly low, at least. Though I must say it's better to over-anesthesize them.

14. Jon Well Known Member Member

i have read freezing is inhumane but im no expert

cutting there heads off isnt a good idea if ure squeemish or bad with knives but its fast and humane

15. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

a better way of freezing them (if you just put'em in the freezer they s l o w l y freeze) is to almost freeze the water before, so the water is ice cold but not frozen, then put the fish head-first in.  It will die instantly.  Don't use this on goldfish though, do it the opposite for them.  Heat the water to not quite boiling, then put it in headfirst.

16. Jon Well Known Member Member

id rather put them in vodka so i can see them pass out and have a sad lil ceremony

17. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

sad lil ceremony meaning vodka party? lol...u better be 21 hehehe

18. Jon Well Known Member Member

lol the vodkas for the fish not me

19. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

ok ;D

20. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Haha guys ... lol. But seriously now ... no killing of healthy fish is humane! Ever!