Getting ready to transfer plants to bigger tank but need help getting rid

1. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Hello All,

I am getting a bigger tank (100 Gallon) this weekend and I'm getting ready to transfer plant from my 56 Gallon, but I have two problems: I have a moss tree w/string algae and snails....In this new tank, I don't want the snails to transfer over. How do I kill off the pond snails and string algae from transferring over? I didn't want snails to begin with.

I also have driftwood, other plants....I want to kill off the eggs, snails and string algae, any suggestions? I also just ordered dwarf hairgrass and amazon swords over the internet and I want to make sure that they dont have any snails/eggs or string algae on them.

2. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I've heard of people doing bleach dips. However I never have, so I don't know what concentration to use, how long, etc. Maybe something to look in to, or see if any other members have used this method. :)

3. greenbeanette Member Member

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I prefer the hydrogen peroxide dip myself, if you dont get all the chemical off then its reaction with water is only to become water.

5. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

thank you so much for the advice...I'm gonna do that this weekend.

6. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Well, did the bleach dip method to get rid of unwanted snails and eggs....everything went great except the jungle vals...they started fading/melting in the bleach/water dip. So, the other Jungle Vals I just did an inspection of eggs and nails.

7. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

There are a handful of plants that do not tolerate the bleach dip very well; however, most usually come back and grow strong. So, don't write them off quite yet.

Snails are easily controlled by not overfeeding and by keeping your tank clean. The more uneaten food on the substrate the faster the snails reproduce! Try feeding less often or less per feeding. Even after many years of fishkeeping I constantly have to fight the urge to overfeed my fish! The general rule of thumb is that a fish's stomach is about the size of their eye. They don't need much.

String algae will be very difficult to get rid of. Instead of focusing on the algae, I recommend balancing your tank. Lighting, fertilization and CO2 supplementation. Find the right balance and the algae will not survive.

Have fun setting up your new tank. Post pictures when you can.