Getting PH up? Question 

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My PH is currently 6.6 I would like to get it up past 7. Any ideas? are my fish currently safe? This is about 10 gallon. Thanks

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You could put some crushed coral in a new, unused, never washed, undyed pantyhose, and put that in your filter. It will naturally raise your pH. Is the pH 6.6 from the tap?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Has some good links.
Your fish are better off if you don't mess with the pH. If you're going to raise it, don't use chemicals, use some crushed coral instead.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just curious, why are you trying to raise the PH?

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was told by a petco worker that it was acidic and that was her excuse for why my platy died. I think she may be wrong.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah, I think she may be wrong too. Your tank is cycled? No recent detection of ammonia or nitrites?

mktany

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fish can live between a ph of 6-8. The most important thing is to keep it steady, if you need to raise it then go very very slowly (.2 per 12 hours). I've heard that a ph of less than 7 takes the ammonia and turns it into the ammonia ion which isn't toxic to fish and if its 7+ the ammonia stays in its toxic form. (If someone could confirm or deny that for me that would be great.)

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I keep platys in 6.4-6.6 with no problems.

FishHobbiest

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't blame the petco lady, oh your fish died because we don't take care of our tanks and care only about the profit, would be a very difficult thing to say

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mktany said:
I've heard that a ph of less than 7 takes the ammonia and turns it into the ammonia ion which isn't toxic to fish and if its 7+ the ammonia stays in its toxic form. (If someone could confirm or deny that for me that would be great.)
At lower pH levels, more of the NH3 will be converted into NH4+ which is the less toxic form, at higher pH levels you have more NH3 and less NH4+.

I agree that the pH was not the reason your fish died, and if you want to raise your pH, work on raising your KH by adding crushed coral, sea shells, or limestone chips.

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
For now on I am no longer buying from petco, and would like to avoid other chains. I have had my best experiences at my lfs Pet Unlimited and Big Al's. I am happy I have a local big Al's its like a public aquarium. Lol thanks everyone.

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's almost laughable... I'm not sure her logic behind that, its a basic water conditioner, does just about exactly what any other basic water conditioner does. Did she say why the betta water conditioner killed your fish?

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
She said that and the low PH. she said the conditioner didn't do everything the back of the bottle says and that the companies lie. I even showed her the exact bottle I use. Lol never again

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the pH section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
are you still using the product cycle? and what's your current parimeters? the tank is so new, and with the use of cycle, it might not be properly cycled...if that is the case, the ph may stabilize itself once it is

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads