Getting Panda Cories soon..

1. Crissandra331 Member Member

Getting 6 Panda cories soon to go in my 65gal. I was reading a thread about someone who was having their corydoras head to the surface to gulp air.
    Replies said this was natural as long as it wasn't too excessive or other fish weren't also sitting and gulping on the surface.

So my question I guess would be do I need to worry about them being in a taller tank and having a longer distance to swim up to get oxygen?

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

No, they'll be just fine, after all where they live in the wild the water is often much deeper than our tanks

3. Crissandra331 Member Member

I sadly thought about that after I posted it:;smack... But hey can't be too careful when picking the perfect fish, right ;)

- Don't think I've ever been this excited about getting new fish...

Thanks again :)

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

And so the cory addiction begins ;)
    I don't want to burst your bubble but if the temp in the 65 is 82F that's a bit high for pandas, they prefer mid 70's

5. Crissandra331 Member Member

Yes....yes it has!!

Hopefully pick them up sometime this week if not it will be a definite must in August!

Do you by chance have or ever had any Angelfish housed with Cories?

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I haven't but know plenty who have kept corys with angels with no problems, did you see my edit about the temperature?

7. Crissandra331 Member Member

Oh yes yes, I need to update my profile, my waters at a steady 76F now and Angels seem to be doing well, not skittish, healthy appetite, good physical appearance. I read Angels live longer in cooler water but will breed more often if the waters higher. I'm quite tired of their constant breeding so I think the temperature decrease will benefit all parties :)

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Oh that's good, much better for the pandas.
    Don't forget pics when you get them :)

9. Crissandra331 Member Member

Oh i'll be posting the heck out of them! Thanks again for all your helpful advice :)

10. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Congrats on the cories!!!

11. Crissandra331 Member Member

I'll take an early congrats :) Just got the call that I can pick up my cories tomorrow!! Can't wait!!!

12. Crissandra331 Member Member

Got my Panda's!!! Their currently floating waiting to get acclimated. Kind of disappointed. The store didn't open till 11 and sometime before 7pm closing the Pandas were bagged up so they've been bagged for over 12 hours just floating in the dealer tank. I originally told them I would pick them up Monday. So definitely glad I went in today, though I had to sit through an hour of traffic. So happy to finally get them home, Took the back roads on the way back, much quicker...!

13. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It's certainly just as well you went in today, there might have been a few losses if they'd been in the bag much longer.
    What was the Lfs thinking of bagging them up so soon?.
    I would drip acclimatise them as the water quality in their bag won't be very good after all that time & they'll need extra time to adjust.
    Hope they settle in well for you

14. Crissandra331 Member Member

Yeah I was really surprised, usually pretty happy with them, so much I drive 3 towns over to get my fish rather than go to Petco in town.
    I've NEVER been so taken aback by the smell of fish water!!
    I got them use to the temp and then went to dump out a little water to add some of mine and it just hit me in the face!! Was rancid!
    As soon as I got them in my tank they perked right up...I've been doing daily water changes the last few days aside from my weekly trying to prepare for them and also kind of aid against this heat we've been having...thankfully we're finally getting a break from it!!

They've maybe been swimming around for 15 minutes? There in my newly taken back 30 Gallon QT. Did I already say their freakin tiny? Think I might need to let them grow before I put them in my 65 gallon. Still REAALLY nervous about putting them in the main tank with my Angels. But really like these new ones so would be open to adjusting my stock accordingly to keep them :)

Tried to take pictures but they were still trying to find eachother :) Maybe I can get a group picture when they get settled in during feeding or something. Probably wait till tonight or tomorrow morning to feed them, possibly sooner if they seem ravenous...

15. Crissandra331 Member Member

Was able to kind of get some pictures...emphasis on kind of. My cameras one of the first cannon digital cameras that came out YEARS ago, sadly they make camera phones that take more vivid pictures than my camera.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Can't wait till their two weeks in QT are up, can't wait to get them into my main tank, where a big Melon plant is awaiting for a bunch of little Cories' to kick back and hammock! I posted them in the bag cause i'm still in disbelief they were bagged THAT LONG! And I still can't get over the smell. 3rd picture is a Panda in comparison to my Albino BNP. Pandas are gonna get bigger right?? Wasn't expecting them to be so small.. Out of the 6 their all doing very well, theirs one that is extra small that I'm a little worried about but settling in well for the most part :)

16. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Those are some beautiful cory's. Their so tiny and fragile but I'm sure they will do great and grow up nice.

17. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Aah cory babies, very cute hope they settle in well for you :)

18. Crissandra331 Member Member

Got the smallest one who's taken a turn for the worst, he's looks like he lacks life, grey, cool/cold color. While the other 5 are very active searching for food and very curious to their new surroundings. They are radiating with life nice warm hue to their body.

Kinda bummed, but still kind of hopeful? :(

19. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Mmm they have some "difficult" substrate in there. Be sure they get enough food. Young Corys need a lot of protein to grow. They often arrive young and underfed at the LFS (too young to me). These don't look underfed, but will have some diffuculties reaching the food between the gravel !!! Good luck !!!

20. Crissandra331 Member Member

DoubleDutch had thought of that...doing daily changes so i can make food accessible, they have to 13 more days if everything goes as planned they will go into the main tank where they bottom material more suited for them :)

In the mean time they don't have a community as competition and keeping a close eye on their barbels. Just wish there was something I could do to help the little guy...