Getting one...stocking? 75 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by BennyB, Apr 13, 2010.

1. BennyBValued MemberMember

So after I get my new computer, I'm gonna' buy a 75 gallon tank. It's decided, final, permanent and any other word you could think of...no more changing my mind. So I plan on moving my mollies and platies over to it, then getting a bunch of other fish and making the sexiest community tank imaginable.
    Here is what I was thinking...

4(maybe 6) Red Wag Platies
    4 Black Mollies
    4 Dalmatian Mollies
    10 Neon Tetras
    5 Serpae Tetras
    5 Black Skirt Tetras
    6 Cherry Barbs
    4 Angelfish
    4 Pictus Cats
    1 Pleco
    a bunch of ghost shrimp

Live planted.

I might get 2 more red wags because I have 2 males to 2 females right now...need more females.
    According to the inch-per-gallon rule, the way I figure it, that's 80 inches inches(including 1 inch for ghost shrimp) My first plan was kissing gouramis, but apparently, after some research, I concluded they would just bully all the other fish in the tank...then get waaaay too big.
    Do you guys see any flaws? Sounds good?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  2. crystalizedNew MemberMember

That sound like a good idea, or just take out a few fishes and adding a little bit more of plants might be good too..but molies , tetras and platies will school well...

good luck !!

3. BennyBValued MemberMember

I like serpae and black skirt tetras...maybe I should get 5 serpae and 5 black skirts...only adding 3 more inches.

4. crystalizedNew MemberMember

yea 1 gallon per 1 fish works...but i always do it like 2 to 1 ratio..just to give fishes more spaces..just in my opinion ^^ but do what you want to do!!.I am sure it will turn out just fine

5. BennyBValued MemberMember

Yeah, I fixed it. 80 is a bit much, I kinda' like them a little overstocked like that though. I can handle a little extra work, and I love how much more active it makes the tank. :D

Not always a bad idea, using 1 or 2 gallons to a fish, but when you get to fish that can get large like angels and plecos, you might want to figure something else out. I'm only saying the 1 gallon to a fish rule only works for so long. Besides, 75 fish? That's a lot of fish... :p

BTW, I forgot. I'm gonna' use live plants. :eek:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010