Getting new tubing, stones, improve tube management, need co2? & more

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by FishInATank, Jul 30, 2015.

1. FishInATankNew MemberMember

Hi Fishies,

I'm looking to make some changes to my tank...

### Airtubing managment

• We have 3 tubes that enter the tank and they are a bit messy so we were thinking of getting something like:   to try and hold them a bit neater until they go to the bottom of the tank & also maybe use some to keep the tube pinned/held to the bottom of the tank.
    • We're also thinking of using a gang valve at the top of the tank as we've found some that hang on the top of the glass which will make the tubes move less and stay neater.

### One Way non-return check valves

• Do I need to have these on my airtubes because currently we don't have any, I would have thought that putting them towards the wet end would improve the pumps airflow / minimise stress on the pumps "lungs"  
    • Where/how do I attach them, is there a specific rule where they should be placed?

### Air Stones

• We only have 1 airstone at the moment, we removed one because it broke and we removed a skull that had one in-it because the skull just looked weird. We were thinking of getting one of these:   (10cm) and one of   (4cm) and one of   (30cm)
    • Should I bury them or keep them exposed a bit?

### New/More tubing

• We noticed there were several types of tubing... what's best for airflow/pressure?
    • We have a mix of hard and soft at the moment and they are all different sizes and colors, only just reaching at the moment so we want to re-tube the tank to make it reach a bit better and be neater.
    • We're not sure if it's a mix of wrong size tubing or/and just old tubing but when putting them onto the plastic connectors to link the tubing up some of the connections have a very minor leak where air esapes from early... is there a non-toxic glue or something we can use to make the seal tight?

### Airpump is noisy & setup...

• We have something similar to   which is very noisy, we notice that if we squeeze it a little bit that it actually makes it sound better and airflow is better with it squeezed a tiny bit.
    • The way we have it setup is like:   as you can see we have 2 of the tubes joined into 1 and then sent to the tank, the other two we have split off on their own. Is this correct/ok?
    • What can we do to make the airpump quieter without losing it's airflow... we can't have it at max atm because it's so noisy, currently it's sitting on two rubber blocks inside a cupboardbut even with it on 1/4th of it's total power it's still rather noisy.

### CO2

• We have several plants at the momement, we have a java moss ball, 5 small anubias plants and 3 other plants that we just got from a fish shop (don't know their names) one is pretty much dead already because our Golden Algae Eater and bristlenose pleco seems to be eating the leaves :S
    • We've had lots of other plants before but they just all end up dieng for some reason...
    • Do we need to get some sort of CO2 system going... what's the best route for us in this regard? (Again, lots of options makes it difficult to choose), it's a 110 litre (24gallon) fish tank housing 'tropical' fish

Any advice is very much welcome!
    Thanks

2. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Bump!

Thanks!

Ken

3. FishInATankNew MemberMember

Thanks, shame no one wants to help ;(

4. slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

I will answer one of your questions. Yes you need the check valves. They keep water from back siphoning during power outages.

5. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

See red above!

6. FishInATankNew MemberMember

Yep, will get them then :p We've had them off for a few hours before but it never happened thankfully!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice