Getting new tubing, stones, improve tube management, need co2? & more

FishInATank

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi Fishies,

I'm looking to make some changes to my tank...

### Airtubing managment

• We have 3 tubes that enter the tank and they are a bit messy so we were thinking of getting something like: https://i.imgur.com/s08CNmp.png to try and hold them a bit neater until they go to the bottom of the tank & also maybe use some to keep the tube pinned/held to the bottom of the tank.
  • We're also thinking of using a gang valve at the top of the tank as we've found some that hang on the top of the glass which will make the tubes move less and stay neater.

### One Way non-return check valves

• Do I need to have these on my airtubes because currently we don't have any, I would have thought that putting them towards the wet end would improve the pumps airflow / minimise stress on the pumps "lungs" https://i.imgur.com/ZmOc53h.png
  • Where/how do I attach them, is there a specific rule where they should be placed?

### Air Stones

### New/More tubing

• We noticed there were several types of tubing... what's best for airflow/pressure?
  • We have a mix of hard and soft at the moment and they are all different sizes and colors, only just reaching at the moment so we want to re-tube the tank to make it reach a bit better and be neater.
  • We're not sure if it's a mix of wrong size tubing or/and just old tubing but when putting them onto the plastic connectors to link the tubing up some of the connections have a very minor leak where air esapes from early... is there a non-toxic glue or something we can use to make the seal tight?

### Airpump is noisy & setup...

• We have something similar to https://i.imgur.com/YImpEeu.png which is very noisy, we notice that if we squeeze it a little bit that it actually makes it sound better and airflow is better with it squeezed a tiny bit.
  • The way we have it setup is like: https://i.imgur.com/C9wMUhG.png as you can see we have 2 of the tubes joined into 1 and then sent to the tank, the other two we have split off on their own. Is this correct/ok?
  • What can we do to make the airpump quieter without losing it's airflow... we can't have it at max atm because it's so noisy, currently it's sitting on two rubber blocks inside a cupboardbut even with it on 1/4th of it's total power it's still rather noisy.

### CO2

• We have several plants at the momement, we have a java moss ball, 5 small anubias plants and 3 other plants that we just got from a fish shop (don't know their names) one is pretty much dead already because our Golden Algae Eater and bristlenose pleco seems to be eating the leaves :S
  • We've had lots of other plants before but they just all end up dieng for some reason...
  • Do we need to get some sort of CO2 system going... what's the best route for us in this regard? (Again, lots of options makes it difficult to choose), it's a 110 litre (24gallon) fish tank housing 'tropical' fish

Any advice is very much welcome!
Thanks

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
### Airtubing managment

• We have 3 tubes that enter the tank and they are a bit messy so we were thinking of getting something like: https://i.imgur.com/s08CNmp.png to try and hold them a bit neater until they go to the bottom of the tank & also maybe use some to keep the tube pinned/held to the bottom of the tank.
  • We're also thinking of using a gang valve at the top of the tank as we've found some that hang on the top of the glass which will make the tubes move less and stay neater.

What kind of filter do you have? You don't need air stones if you use an HOB - they usually break the surface of the water well enough to aerate the tank.

• Do I need to have these on my airtubes because currently we don't have any, I would have thought that putting them towards the wet end would improve the pumps airflow / minimise stress on the pumps "lungs" https://i.imgur.com/ZmOc53h.png
  • Where/how do I attach them, is there a specific rule where they should be placed?

Yes, you should have check valves to keep the water from getting sucked up the tubes when they're off.

### Air Stones

I would leave them exposed a bit. No chance of blocking anything then.

### New/More tubing

• We noticed there were several types of tubing... what's best for airflow/pressure?
  • We have a mix of hard and soft at the moment and they are all different sizes and colors, only just reaching at the moment so we want to re-tube the tank to make it reach a bit better and be neater.
  • We're not sure if it's a mix of wrong size tubing or/and just old tubing but when putting them onto the plastic connectors to link the tubing up some of the connections have a very minor leak where air esapes from early... is there a non-toxic glue or something we can use to make the seal tight?

Sorry, can't help you much here.

### Airpump is noisy & setup...

• We have something similar to https://i.imgur.com/YImpEeu.png which is very noisy, we notice that if we squeeze it a little bit that it actually makes it sound better and airflow is better with it squeezed a tiny bit.
  • The way we have it setup is like: https://i.imgur.com/C9wMUhG.png as you can see we have 2 of the tubes joined into 1 and then sent to the tank, the other two we have split off on their own. Is this correct/ok?
  • What can we do to make the airpump quieter without losing it's airflow... we can't have it at max atm because it's so noisy, currently it's sitting on two rubber blocks inside a cupboardbut even with it on 1/4th of it's total power it's still rather noisy.

Sorry, can't help you much here either.

### CO2

• We have several plants at the momement, we have a java moss ball, 5 small anubias plants and 3 other plants that we just got from a fish shop (don't know their names) one is pretty much dead already because our Golden Algae Eater and bristlenose pleco seems to be eating the leaves :S
  • We've had lots of other plants before but they just all end up dieng for some reason...
  • Do we need to get some sort of CO2 system going... what's the best route for us in this regard? (Again, lots of options makes it difficult to choose), it's a 110 litre (24gallon) fish tank housing 'tropical' fish

You don't need CO2 for the moss ball or anubias. Can't say what would help the other plants without knowing what they are. What kind of light do you have? What kind and how many fish do you have in your tank? Do you dose with ferts?
See red above!

FishInATank

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I will answer one of your questions. Yes you need the check valves. They keep water from back siphoning during power outages.
Yep, will get them then We've had them off for a few hours before but it never happened thankfully!

### Airtubing managment

• We have 3 tubes that enter the tank and they are a bit messy so we were thinking of getting something like:https://i.imgur.com/s08CNmp.png to try and hold them a bit neater until they go to the bottom of the tank & also maybe use some to keep the tube pinned/held to the bottom of the tank.

What kind of filter do you have? You don't need air stones if you use an HOB - they usually break the surface of the water well enough to aerate the tank.
I see, unfortunately we don't use a hob plus the bubbles look nice to me lol

• Do I need to have these on my airtubes because currently we don't have any, I would have thought that putting them towards the wet end would improve the pumps airflow / minimise stress on the pumps "lungs"https://i.imgur.com/ZmOc53h.png

Yes, you should have check valves to keep the water from getting sucked up the tubes when they're off.
Thanks, will sort this out!

### Air Stones

I would leave them exposed a bit. No chance of blocking anything then.
Taken on board, thanks

### CO2

You don't need CO2 for the moss ball or anubias. Can't say what would help the other plants without knowing what they are. What kind of light do you have? What kind and how many fish do you have in your tank? Do you dose with ferts?
Uhm, I couldn't tell you any of the other names (don't know any of them), we have had some potted red plant, a potted green plant, small orange one, one with big leaves (white and green) and one that was on a log, it started out rather big but kept getting worse and worse until it died, when we got it the plant looked lovely. Since I posted we threw out a plant because it died

The light is... slightly blue/white in color and it's what the fish shop said we should have for tropical fish. We only have 7 fish now at one stage we had 30 in there (we had two lots of baby fish) and then they all slowly died, we only have 1 original fish left (3 years later) and that is the golden algae eater. The water is all fine, we've not had a single problem with the water quallity other than slightly high ph which we fix by adding stuff to the water.

We still do have a tiny bit of black brush algae but it's litterally just a few little bits here and there, we had a bit of a bloom of it last summer where it started growing on the anubis plant and spread to the stone tower inside, we took the tower out so the algae on it would die and we cut of some of the badly covered leaves, pulled the algae off some and burried it a bit and now the plant is fine.

We did buy 5 fish that were meant to eat the black brush algae but they're all dead now, not that they seemed to eat the algae anyway lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom