Getting new tank

luluvontepes

hello. im new to this forum ive had tanks before, many betta tanks and one 10gal i ran for 2 years. right now i have a 2.2gal tank with the worst most useless filter ever (inherited it from my mom). the tank came with an otocinclus and my mom bought me a betta to keep miss keisha (the oto) company. well the problem is my current bioload is exceeding what the filter can keep up with and i need to upgrade.
im looking for a kit that would only need 1 or 2 pieces of equipment added. i want the new tank to be planted (ive never had a planted tank before). i want to use java moss and java fern do to their easy care. ive been looking on petco and petsmart websites but cant find a good rounded tank kit. i was going to get the marineland kit with the penguin75 hob filter but the reviews say that in the last two years the tanks have been springing leaks. i want to use the marineland pengiun100 filter in my new tank because ive had them before and they work well. i dont know much about aqueon or top fin but they have kits too. the reviews say the filters included die after a few months and the led lights burn out too soon and are hard to replace.
i want a 5.5gal or 10gal for my new tank and would like to keep setup lowtech and affordable. my price range is $150 max for tank, all equipment, plants, and decor. is this possible? any suggestions on good reliable kits? i need to get this tank set up asap!!

Delcos

hello. im new to this forum ive had tanks before, many betta tanks and one 10gal i ran for 2 years. right now i have a 2.2gal tank with the worst most useless filter ever (inherited it from my mom). the tank came with an otocinclus and my mom bought me a betta to keep miss keisha (the oto) company. well the problem is my current bioload is exceeding what the filter can keep up with and i need to upgrade.
im looking for a kit that would only need 1 or 2 pieces of equipment added. i want the new tank to be planted (ive never had a planted tank before). i want to use java moss and java fern do to their easy care. ive been looking on petco and petsmart websites but cant find a good rounded tank kit. i was going to get the marineland kit with the penguin75 hob filter but the reviews say that in the last two years the tanks have been springing leaks. i want to use the marineland pengiun100 filter in my new tank because ive had them before and they work well. i dont know much about aqueon or top fin but they have kits too. the reviews say the filters included die after a few months and the led lights burn out too soon and are hard to replace.
i want a 5.5gal or 10gal for my new tank and would like to keep setup lowtech and affordable. my price range is $150 max for tank, all equipment, plants, and decor. is this possible? any suggestions on good reliable kits? i need to get this tank set up asap!!
Definitely possible. You can get a 10g tank at most box stores for $10-15. Also check online at places like Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, etc people are always selling used tanks (just clean it well). For a tank that size I like running sponge filters w/ an airstone. You can get a sponge, stone, and air pump for around $30. A small heater should cost you about $15-20 so that leaves you a good range amount of money for the rest of your set up. You can buy cheap substrate like pool filter sand or gravel from a hardware store and I have bought a ton of plants from eBay for cheap and never had any issues.

Delcos

I forgot to mention a light, but depending on how demanding the type of plants you get are, you can get away with a pretty cheap light. Another thing you could look for used online as well

luluvontepes

im looking at the aqueon 10gal led tank kit. i can get it off amazon for $55. comes with a heater too. i want to switch out the aqueon filter for the marineland penguin but im not 100% sure itll fit with the tank hood. but the penguin 100 is literally $10 on amazon so imma pick one up either way. it can be an extra backup if it doesnt fit right. im at $95 for the tank kit, extra filter, and a cleaning kit. does that seem reasonable?

last time i got a tank it was the marineland 10gal kit and it was wonderful! no issues. but recently ive been reading the the 2019 and 2020 batches of the tanks are prone to leak and crack so i dunno. it seems like quality control went down after covid hit maybe. i wish the new marineland kits werent like that cause id get another in a heartbeat if it werent for the defect. :/ my last one lasted 2 years before my ex got it in the split...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishnpups
Replies
Views
luluvontepes
Replies
Views
Kanti113
Replies
Views