Getting new sponges and pre-filter... installing question

Splaker

Hey folks,

Week 2 and ready to switch out (yes tank is cycled and there are 20 fish in there) the disposable marineland filter media with 30 PPI foam for the inside and a course pre-filter. I intend to add some ceramic rings in a media bag with the sponge. Anyhow, I was thinking of this approach:

1. Soak the new sponge in aquarium water after cutting to size. Let it soak for several minutes (or more?)
2. Remove only one of the current filters/media. Set aside as I may need the plastic backing of the Marineland filter.
3. Instal the new foam. I think it needs to be placed at the back (furthest position away from the bio wheels/tank).
4. Add the other media (ceramic) placed between the new sponge and the biowheels/tank.
5. Add the pre-filter sponge (cut/size if necessary)

Do I need to turn the unit off while performing this switch? Given that I am putting in brand new materials, should I be concerned with loss of good bacteria? I do have the Seachem bacteria product that is added when tanks are cycling and after water changes.

Anything else?

GumYu

yes, turn off the filter.

cut all the filter material off the plastic frame and place it with the new media that way you're not throwing away the bacteria.

Splaker

What the white thing in the second video? Is that the backing of the media? Thanks

Splaker

I see... but could I not just use the plastic frame of the current filter once I remove the blue media?

GumYu

probably, if you cut it open and dump out the carbon, keeping the polyfil fibers on the outside. the frame is usually hollow.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
20 Gallon Tank Intake Pre-Filter Sponge
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
WrenFeenix
Replies
Views