Getting New Guppies

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by radar, Apr 9, 2017.

1. r

radar Valued Member Member

Little history. After more than forty years away from fishkeeping I got back into it four years ago. Yes, I'm getting long in tooth. I have presently four tanks up and running. A 29 with four Rosy Barbs, 55 with four young Angels and six Harlequin Rasboras, another 55 with two adult Angels, and a 30 with 6 Lemon Tetras I've had for six weeks and plan to move in with the Angels. In reserve I have a 26 that is not presently running and two 10's and a 5 gallon. I am getting a trio of Blue Moscow guppies. Thinking of putting them in the thirty gallon that the Lemons are coming out of. My plan is to hopefully get more males from the two females and not keep too many females. Breeder says females have already been hit with her breeder male. So assuming they will have fry shortly. Been ages since I've had guppies. How old do they need to get before culling for males or deformities? Thanks for any suggestions on this and my tank stocking as well.

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

You can cull for deformities as soon as you spot them.
    Make sure you have at least 2 females for every male. If you have too many males and not enough females the females can be harassed to death by the males. Or you could keep them in separate tanks.
    Tank stocking looks fine apart from your rosy barbs which need to be kept in groups of 6+. I would up all your schooling fish to around 8.

Good luck it sounds like you have a good plan!

3. OP
    OP
    r

Thanks for info. I will look into upping my schools. Also I do plan to separate females with divider or another tank. My idea is to get more males to stock the tank with. I am getting one male and two females which are "pre hit" by one of her breeder males. Thanks.

4. Seyff

Seyff Valued Member Member

Welcome back to the hobby. At around 4 weeks you should be able to sex the fry. As far as culling, when in doubt you could have a cull tank. Some deformities, such as a bent spine, will show right away.

5. emeraldking

emeraldking Well Known Member Member

If you've got a trained eye, you can sex fry already at 1-2 weeks of age. At least, that's the age I cull those genders.

6. OP
    OP
    r

Well, I received my Moscow guppies. Ended up I received two males and one "pre hit" female. I decided to separate the males and they now occupy a thirty gallon all to themselves. The female is in a ten gallon well planted with artificial plants. She appears to have a well darkened gravid spot so we'll see what we have ina few weeks I suspect. I then plan to separate the fry by sex into separate tanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice