55 Gallon Tank Getting new fish tank

Kay438

Hello! I'm getting a new 55 gallon fish tank soon and I'm just wondering how do I set it up to go through the nitrogen cycle. Should I just feed the tank fish food?
I did that last time but idk what method is the best to do.
Thanks!

StarGirl

If you use pure ammonia (no detergents or perfumes) It will be less messy than fish food.

ValkyrieLips

^ Also easier to dose and you won't have to wait for food to decompose.

Kay438

StarGirl said:
If you use pure ammonia (no detergents or perfumes) It will be less messy than fish food.
I'll have to see if I can get some because I dont have any at the moment. Do pet stores usually carry it?

Jojo205

I just used fish food then gravel vacuumed to get the fish food out the day before I got the fish.

Kay438

StarGirl said:
If I cant find any, what's the next best way to do it?

Jojo205

Kay438 said:
If I cant find any, what's the next best way to do it?
If u have ace hardware near you they sell pure ammonia I think

Kay438

Jojo205 said:
If u have ace hardware near you they sell pure ammonia I think
No I dont have that around me, also what's the best brand to get?

Jojo205

Kay438 said:
No I dont have that around me, also what's the best brand to get?
I’m not sure I was just told to go to ace hardware( i never did lol) I think it was th e ace hardware brand. a lot of people use dr tim’s ammonium chloride I think?

mattgirl

Do you already have a cycled tank? Are you planning on just upgrading to a bigger tank? If yes to both these questions then you can just move your cycle from the smaller tank over to the bigger one and won't need to buy ammonia.

Kay438

mattgirl said:
Do you already have a cycled tank? Are you planning on just upgrading to a bigger tank? If yes to both these questions then you can just move your cycle from the smaller tank over to the bigger one and won't need to buy ammonia.
Yes I'm getting a bigger tank. And no I dont have it yet but i will be getting it in a couple days

mattgirl

Kay438 said:
Hello! I'm getting a new 55 gallon fish tank soon and I'm just wondering how do I set it up to go through the nitrogen cycle. Should I just feed the tank fish food?
I did that last time but idk what method is the best to do.

Thanks!
Kay438 said:
Yes I'm getting a bigger tank. And no I dont have it yet but i will be getting it in a couple days
If I am understanding you don't have a tank up and running right now. Please correct me if I am wrong. I just assumed from your first post that you had a cycled tank.

If I needed to cycle a tank now without seeded media I would get a bottle of Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride and some flake fish food. I would use both for my ammonia source. I know some are going to wonder why I would use both but hear me out.

With liquid ammonia you can control the amount of ammonia you are adding but I am not convinced ammonia alone adds all that is necessary to grow a strong stable cycle. The fish food will add a different type of ammonia. It will be more like what your future fish will be producing.

Too many times folks have come here after cycling their tanks with just liquid ammonia and have spikes in ammonia and nitrites after adding fish. In my humble opinion adding some fish food along with the liquid ammonia during the cycling process will grow a stronger cycle and most of the time will prevent this. You don't have to add much. A small pinch every 2 or 3 days should be enough.

Also in my humble opinion one grows a stronger more natural cycle when doing a fish in cycle. For those that don't have the time (lots of water changes) or inclination (fear of harming fish) to do a fish in cycle, adding fish food along with the liquid ammonia is the second best option for a strong natural cycle.

Kay438

mattgirl said:
If I am understanding you don't have a tank up and running right now. Please correct me if I am wrong. I just assumed from your first post that you had a cycled tank.

If I needed to cycle a tank now without seeded media I would get a bottle of Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride and some flake fish food. I would use both for my ammonia source. I know some are going to wonder why I would use both but hear me out.

With liquid ammonia you can control the amount of ammonia you are adding but I am not convinced ammonia alone adds all that is necessary to grow a strong stable cycle. The fish food will add a different type of ammonia. It will be more like what your future fish will be producing.

Too many times folks have come here after cycling their tanks with just liquid ammonia and have spikes in ammonia and nitrites after adding fish. In my humble opinion adding some fish food along with the liquid ammonia during the cycling process will grow a stronger cycle and most of the time will prevent this. You don't have to add much. A small pinch every 2 or 3 days should be enough.

Also in my humble opinion one grows a stronger more natural cycle when doing a fish in cycle. For those that don't have the time (lots of water changes) or inclination (fear of harming fish) to do a fish in cycle, adding fish food along with the liquid ammonia is the second best option for a strong natural cycle.
No I dont have my tank up and running yet. I also dont know if anywhere around me has the ammonia so idk if I can do that. And if I buy it online it mine take a while for it to get to me. So if i cant get the ammonia should i just do it with flaked fish food?

And yeah I have no tank up and running right now I should be getting it on Wednesday tho so I'll probably he starting it then

Also thank you for the information

mattgirl

Kay438 said:
No I dont have my tank up and running yet. I also dont know if anywhere around me has the ammonia so idk if I can do that. And if I buy it online it mine take a while for it to get to me. So if i cant get the ammonia should i just do it with flaked fish food?

And yeah I have no tank up and running right now I should be getting it on Wednesday tho so I'll probably he starting it then

Also thank you for the information
Gotcha Yes, you can use fish food for your ammonia source. You could even use something like a piece of shrimp. Either will decompose and provide the necessary ammonia.

Kay438

mattgirl said:
Gotcha Yes, you can use fish food for your ammonia source. You could even use something like a piece of shrimp. Either will decompose and provide the necessary ammonia.
Thank you! I think I'll just use the flake food

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom