Advertising

1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Getting new Betta fish

1. Melly4477

Melly4477 New Member Member

So at Walmart I found a beautiful red and silver crowntail betta (a color combination that I have wanted for forever) but I don't currently have a tank that I can keep him in. I do have a bowl though. Now before you judge I know that bettas need more room (I have three others, all in heated, filtered, planted tanks). My problem is I cant afford to get another tank right now, (I'm a broke teenager) so I was wondering if it would be ok to temporary keep him in the bowl until I can get a better tank. The bowl is about 1.5 gallons. My birthday is coming up on July 18th and I'm sure I can get my parents to get me another tank then. I have fallen in love with this fish and it makes me terribly sad to think that he could be stuck in one of those cups for the rest of his life. I have been watching him in the store for about a week now and I can only imagine how much ammonia is in that cup, plus many of the other fish around him were sick and dying. Out of the bettas there he was one of the only heathy looking active ones. If it would be ok to keep him in the bowl, when should do water changes and how much. Also what are some things I can do to make it more comfortable. I have an extra bubbler and an heater (though it might be to big for the tank). If it wouldn't be ok does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

How big are the tanks you already have? You could make a divider for one of them!

3. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

A bowl should be ok as long as you plan on moving him within 2 months. What temperature is the room he's going to stay at? I would do at least a 25% water change each week. Maybe give him a plant? (Real or fake)
    Also, make sure the tank you get has a filter and is at least 5 gallons
    The bubbler is your opinion. If you put it in and the betta stays away from it and looks stressed I would tank it out.

4. OP
    OP
    Melly4477

The other tanks are all 5 gallons so I don't really want to split them

My room stays at around 77 degrees (my parents don't always like to turn on the air up stairs, so I keep my window open) meaning that the tank will probably stay around 76 degrees. With plants I can get some of the overgrow from the other tanks. Thanks for all the help

5. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Any plants would be good, and you could try using the heater to keep the tank at about 80F, but if its just to big 76F is ok.

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

In a bowl without a filter, you should be doing way more than 25% weekly - 50% every day or every other day would be much better.

If the heater won't overheat the tank, I'd put it in there. 76 F is a little low for a betta.

2.5 gal minimum for a betta, though a 5 or 10 would be much better.

7. OP
    OP
    Melly4477

FullSizeRender (4).jpg IMG_3174.JPG The first pic is of what will soon be James Pond (sorry I sat there for about 5 min and this was the best pic I could get) and the second is of what will be his temporary home (sorry its sideways). I added a heater, so i will have to watch the temp and make sure it doesn't get too hot, and the plant is a water hyacinth.

8. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I know the wood is pretty, but I would take it out if it were me - it's taking up a lot of his swimming room.

Advertising