Getting New 29 Tank, What Steps Should I Take?

Nickguy5467

currently having issues with my current 20 tank like ammonia and what not and I learned about this nitrogen cycle thing (learned of it but I still don't understand it) just wondering what steps I should take before dropping my current fish in there? like for example should I use the same water from the other tank, leave the filter alone etc(pretty sure I should leave the filter alone but why not ask to make sure). so far I have planned to use a different substrate. Tahitian Moon Sand

current stock in tank is 4 neon tetras, 1 black skirt, 1 panda cory, and 1 pleco

Discus-Tang

Ok, the ammonia may be caused by the pleco. That's my thinking. Do you know what type it is?

Nickguy5467

unfortunately its a common. I did no research it getting it, was more of a "you should get one of these" by a friend I was with at the fish store. yes ive heard the horror stories. especially for a 20 gallon tank. but hes so small I can't comprehend the problems currently, and my black skirt is about his size. if the pleco were wider and not longer. So ive heard about the problems but I don't understand them

Discus-Tang

They reach about 18 inches, so yeah... Even at juvenile sizes they are waste factories

Nickguy5467

Discus-Tang said:
They reach about 18 inches, so yeah... Even at juvenile sizes they are waste factories
ok so I guess one of the steps would be "ditch the pleco" get myself some other type of algae eater like an amano shrimp I guess. maybe I should just do that asap and see if my lvls get back to normal? give or take the shrimp. before I get the new tank

IHaveADogToo

Believe it or not, the pest snails that hitch hike in on plants are amazing algae eaters

Discus-Tang

Nickguy5467 said:
ok so I guess one of the steps would be "ditch the pleco" get myself some other type of algae eater like an amano shrimp I guess. maybe I should just do that asap and see if my lvls get back to normal? give or take the shrimp. before I get the new tank
Amano shrimp would be perfect I also strongly advise that you get at least 5 more cories and 2 more neons.

Nickguy5467

Discus-Tang said:
Amano shrimp would be perfect I also strongly advise that you get at least 5 more cories and 2 more neons.
yeah the cory's were also suggestions from my friend but I couldnt decide on panda or leopard(3 stripe) so he told the shop keep "he'll take one of each" and that's what happened, cuz I'm dumb . I had 7 neon tetras but they recently started dying. probably due to the ammonia spike. one would die each day found stuck to my powerhead intake.. so I indended on getting more of the cory and neons. but I wanted to find out why they were dying first . or the new fish would probably just die too.... so I wanted to take preventative measures for the new 29 gallon tank ill be gettting. which is a hand me down from a friend.

edit: you can probably tell why I only have the panda listed, I also remember reading the neons should be in odd numbers such as 5,7,9 I don't know why, to pick the point of the spear I guess?

Discus-Tang

Ooh, a 29 gallon.

IHaveADogToo

Nickguy5467 said:
he told the shop keep "he'll take one of each" and that's what happened
I really wish shops would speak up when customers do this. Because the shop is supposed to know better.

Nickguy5467

Discus-Tang said:
Ooh, a 29 gallon.
yeah . I thought it would be nice because the length and depth are exactly the same so I wouldnt have to get a new stand. and give my fish some more wiggle room(pun intended). funny story. my neighbor gave me her 29. broke the glass trying to clean the thing in my bathtub. and somehow I'm getting another one from my friends dad, so I'm lucky I guess. if I don't break this one I mean

Discus-Tang

IHaveADogToo said:
I really wish shops would speak up when customers do this. Because the shop is supposed to know better.
It's annoying that they exploit animals, but to be fair they need an income. Fish > Money though.

Nickguy5467

IHaveADogToo said:
I know right. I wish the same for the pleco. a simple "do you have the right tank size for this fish?" I realize that probably wouldnt be needed for like everything, but the common pleco really does. they have tons of those things, most likely knowing what they need and such, yet they still sell them to noobs like me to find out what I did wrong.I do my research on all the fish I intend to get. but in this situation I didnt intend to get that fish. or the cory fish( though I'm glad I got them even though not enough. they are really cool and bouncy). ive read too many stories about people buying plecos in their young size not knowing about the horrors that await them. others about how shop keeps should include warnings of some kind or at least inform the buyer before they make dumb mistakes (I know its not their job to make sure we aren't stupid but it couldnt hurt).

but if the issue is just maybe the pleco poop storm. wouldnt the problem be solved my heavy vacuuming? you know before the godzilla problem I guess

BottomDweller

Nickguy5467 said:
edit: you can probably tell why I only have the panda listed, I also remember reading the neons should be in odd numbers such as 5,7,9 I don't know why, to pick the point of the spear I guess?
No reason to have odd numbers. Some people seem to think they need even number some think they need odd. They do not care as long as you have a decent number of them. Do you think a group of 11 neons suddenly become depressed when one more is added but perk up when another is added?

Nickguy5467

BottomDweller said:
No reason to have odd numbers. Some people seem to think they need even number some think they need odd. They do not care as long as you have a decent number of them. Do you think a group of 11 neons suddenly become depressed when one more is added but perk up when another is added?
I was actually curious about something like that when the 7th died. They started wandering off on their own individually like they were grieving lol

IHaveADogToo

If you think neon tetra behavior is interesting, just wait until you progress in your hobby to more advanced fish. Some of these creatures will blow your mind.

Nickguy5467

IHaveADogToo said:
If you think neon tetra behavior is interesting, just wait until you progress in your hobby to more advanced fish. Some of these creatures will blow your mind.
I hope I get that far without quitting from discouragement of being bad at this.

Cory cats remind me of bees...

mattgirl

If your 20 gallon tank is cycled you can just move the cycle from it over to your bigger tank. I know you want to use a different substrate so you will be losing a very small amount of bacteria but it shouldn't be a problem. The bacteria lives on every surface in your tank but the majority of it lives on your filter media.

To move the cycle just move EVERYTHING including half of the water that is in the 20 over to the 29. There is no bacteria in the water but it is the water both your fish and your cycle (the bacteria) are used to. By using half of it (I normally say move all of the water but since the 2 tanks are so similar in size 50% will be enough) both your fish and the bacteria will just feel like they have had a big water change.

Since you aren't keeping the same substrate you may experience a short lived minI cycle but it can be handled with Prime and water changes. If you aren't already using Prime for your water conditioner I do recommend it. It is first and foremost a water conditioner that removes chlorine and some heavy metals but it also neutralizes low amounts of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates so will really help if you do experience a minI cycle.

If I've not been clear enough Please let me know and I will answer any questions you have.

Top Bottom