Getting my tank back in shape after 6 months abroad. 30 Gallon Tank

1. neofyt05 Member Member

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I last visited the forums. So I haven't been home since xmas, went abroad (studying in the UK) leaving my 2 tanks in the hands of my father. A 10 gallon with a HM betta and a planted 32g tank with 4 corys a GBR 10 harlequin rasboras and an angelfish. When I came back I wanted to cry! The betta died and the glass of 32g tank was FULL of algae and I couldn't really see anything inside! I cleaned the glass and I started counting fish. Only the cories died and 3 rasboras!!! I couldn't believe that the GBR survived and the cories died!

Anyway I decided to get the 32g tank back in shape. I ordered some plants and completely rearranged the tank. The problem is now I don't have any cleaning crew in the tank! This is the first time i don't have cories but I am not buying more of them as they do die easily for some reason (maybe it's because the tank can reach 32C (~90F) ), I tried increasing the number of the harlequins. Bought 3 more and the angel ate them within 10 minutes! (only the new ones). I bought 3 nerite snails as a cleaning crew! Should I try adding any other fish or leave the tank as it is? IMG_3211.jpg IMG_3212.jpg IMG_3320.jpg

2. bellachan Well Known Member Member

I love my nerites they do a good job! Give them a chance and see if they make a difference before adding anything els. Just the fact that you are back and can maintain the tank should help! :)

3. neofyt05 Member Member

It's been a week and they eat non-stop! But I think they go for the algae. What about any leftover flakes though? :)

4. bellachan Well Known Member Member

Hmm i'm not sure? My african cichlids don't give leftovers lol! I add zuccini once in a while so my snails have something to feed on

5. Kuhligirl93 Member Member

Sounds like you and I are in the same position! I also left my 36g planted tank in the hands of my father while I studied abroad in the UK for a month and returned to it not looking so pretty. I'm sorry you lost some fish :(
    With algae, sometimes the best thing to do is to discover the cause of it and fix it from there before adding any more fish. It could be a number of things from too much light left on too long, or an imbalance of nutrients or carbon. So first let me ask what type of lighting do you have, and do you use pressurized CO2 or add a liquid carbon?
    The first thing I would do if I were you is lower your lighting time to only 6 hours a day (a timer is very useful if you don't already have one), and increase your carbon supplement.
    Another thing that can cause algae is a lack of nutrients like phosphorous and nitrates that will help the plants outcompete algae. Using a dry fertilizer like the EI or PPS-pro methods from GLA is a good way to make sure your plants are getting the right nutrients, and much more economical than using liquid fertilizers from a bottle.
    An algae-free, healthy planted tank is all about balancing 3 things: lighting, carbon, and nutrients!:)
    If you have left over flakes on the bottom it means you are feeding too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum