Getting my Ottos today

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm so excited!! I'm getting my ottos today. I cleaned out my tank and there is all new frsh water in it now. I let it sit for a few days. I didn't re-cycle it I hope that's ok. I was watching the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. I never had any ammonia or nitrites after the first day, but I did have nitrates at .5. I checked it again yesterday and it was back to 0. I hope that means everything is ok. Or do you think I should have put it through another cycle after cleaning it out? I didn't do a thorough cleaning. I pretty much just dumped the water out and wiped the sides a little bit and refilled it. I porbably would've done a more thorough job if Mr. Red had a disease, but since he didn't I didn't think it needed a thorough cleaning. I just wanted fresh water in it and wanted to make sure the maracyn 2 was out of it. It should be safe, right? Everything is at 0. I know that you need to keep a close eye on ottos the first week or 2 after they enter their new home so I just want to make sure it's safe.

Yay, I'm so excited!! ;D Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Has your filter run constantly since Mr. Red died? I am hoping so as it only takes about 30 minutes of inactivity for the bacteria to start dying. I would test the water thoroughly every day for the first 2 weeks just in case you have a mini=cycle after not having a fish in the tank. It is probably going to be okay but I would rather ask you to do the testing than have a nightmare on your hands with sick or dying fish.

I do hope that you love the Otos as much as I do .... they are such sweet fish and never any problem. The first 30 days are the crucial time. If they get through that time period, they will probably be the longest lived little fish you own. My otos are the hardiest little fish and they do love their algae.

Have fun and enjoy these little ones... ;D

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes there was a filter in it, but I had to put a new one in because the carbon was old, so I needed the fresh carbon to get the medicine out. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am hoping that you kept a bit of the old filter media in the there with the new to help seed it. Did you run carbon with the meds?

Sorry if I am forgetting everything but there have been so many new posts and I am losing track of who I have talked to and what they said.

Enjoy the little ones. We want to hear stories.....

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought my oto's last night. They are only babies, but are very fast and very active. Thye are even active during the day, which is strange because I thought they were only supposed to be active at night. I do have a question though. How are you supposed to tell them if they are male/female? I asked the girl at Petsmart and she didn't know.

I 've thought of names, but can't decide until I know whether they are male or female or both of each. If they are males their names will be Bert and Ernie. If they are females it'll be Lucy and Ethyl. If they're male and female it'll be Lucy and Ricky.

Here are some pic's. I did the best I could given the fact that the little guy's wouldn't sit still for more then a second.

Golden Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Awesome! I think they calm down after awhile, when they get all used to their new home. Be careful and don't let them jump in your "Magic Bullet" food processor!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cute fishies ;D
Otos are not completely nocturnal...it is normal for them to be out and about during the day.
It is difficult to sex them but when they are full grown the females are fatter while the males have a more long and thin look. There's no real way to know "for sure" though, that I am aware of at least. Hope that helps a little. Since they are babies you will not be able to tell for a while.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just from what I saw of the general shape of them, I would say we could welcome Bert and Ernie. I love those names and they will live up to them for sure...

They are going to be more active until you get the Betta and then probably pull back some to stay out of the Bettas way.

They are so darling...I am so glad you got them. They are going to think they have gone to a spa or resort in that fancy tank.

Congratulations on the newest additions to the Oto Board. Welcome, little ones.

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks!! I love watching them. They chase each other all over the place. It's so funny to watch.

Golden Fish: Don't worry I won't let them jump in the Magic bullet food processor. We just bought that yesterday. That's why it was sitting there. Mu husband has been dying to buy that thing since they came out with it. LOL.

Rose: Well as long as they are males then Burt and Ernie it is. I put a wafer in there for them to eat, but they haven't touched it yet. I'm sure it's just because they are so excited to be in their new home. I only need to put one wafer in there right for the both of them. Or should I put one for each? They are so tiny I figured 1 should be good for the 2 of them. How often can I do veggies?

Natalie

Golden Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
10-4

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
1 wafer is probably more than enough for both of them. You can feed veggies whenever you want instead of the wafer...it can be left in for probably 3 or 4 days max and they will just eat as much of it as they want. With Otos it's more like you provide food and they take what they want, than you feed them certain amounts. How often you put in a veggie depends on how long you leave the previous one in the tank and if you happen to have them on hand...

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would put very small amounts of veggie in to start with and be prepared to leave it a while. They like to play with their food before they eat it and I usually try to feed mine toward the back of the tank or they make a real MESS at the front of the tank as they will spread it all over the place. The veggies sometimes get down right grungy before they are interesting to them. Naughty little stinkers but they are sure cute.

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OK, thanks.They ate the wafer yesterday finally. I put another one in there this mornng before I left for work. Natalie

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Burt and Ernie are doing well. I've had them almost a whole a week and no problems yet. ;D I've been keeping an eye on the water parameter's like you said to do , Rose. Everything is still looking good. 3 1/2 weeks and I'll beable to get my new Betta. ;D Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
We will be waiting...

I am so glad that Bert and Ernie are doing well. Isn't it just the best when they spin around the tank?

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OMG, it is so fun to watch them zip around all over. Last night they were racing around in circles along side one part of the wall. It was hilarious. Ernie is a little bit more active at times then Burt. He can't sit still in one spot for more then a minute although tonight I think he's broken his record for it. He'still sitting in the same spot that he was in when I got home which was an hour ago. I'm so glad I got them. I'm already attached to them. They're great. Natalie

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have fun with your little guys!

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I definitely will!! Thanks. ;D Natalie

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nice oto's, just wanted to give you a little late congratulations.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you ATM. Natalie

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom