Getting my fish more friends?

Marco Rodriguez

Well Known
Hi,

Currently running a 30G tank in my room with an aqueon 30 and penn plax cascade 400.
Have a breeding pair of apistos (who keep losing their eggs to thieves)
a BN Pleco
a pair of Blue Rams
8 Neon Tetra
8 LF Zebra Danios

just wondering if I can fit a Dif species in there. gets a little boring watching the exact same fish every night.

I don't expect to have much room it's moderately planted but...

.Been running 6 months btw. (no issues yet, no deaths yet)

NC122606

Well Known
Marco Rodriguez said:
Hi,

Currently running a 30 gallon tank in my room with an aqueon 30 and penn plax cascade 400.
a BN Pleco
a pair of Blue Rams
8 Neon Tetra
8 LF Zebra Danios

just wondering if I can fit a Dif species in there. gets a little boring watching the exact same fish every night.

You might have a problem with the rams and danios temperature wise but...

- A pair of Pearl Gourami
I really suggest these, very interactive, colorful, and fun to watch!

- Trio of Honey Gourami
Beautiful as well

- Solo Angelfish
Might eat your Neon Tetras and might now work with Danios but it could work.

Ebreus

Well Known
Have you considered invertebrates at all?
Unless I'm mistaken you've listed pretty peaceful fish and none of them get bigger than about 3 inches, right?
Snails are an ever present and fairly easy option.
Apple/Mystery Snails are quite beautiful and get big enough to not need to search for one in 30 gallons, though you'd need to make sure it has plenty of food or it'll start eating your plants.
Nerites are a smaller colorful option with the added benefit of not eating plants at all.
If the tank already has pest snails or you don't mind feeding it from an external source Assassins are of similar size to Apple/Mystery Snails and also won't eat plants, they're carnivorous snail hunters.
Ramshorn and Malaysian Trumpet snails aren't all that big but they breed easily so there'd be a substantial number of them adding some color to the tank.

Alternatively to gastropods there are arthropods.
Maybe a crab or two. I've kept crabs in my freshwater tank when I was younger and had no real idea what I was doing so they're fairly hearty to have stayed alive. Wish I could be more specific but I don't recall what they were called.
If you don't mind something a bit more fragile you could check in the shrimp section if anything you've listed is known to devour Amano Shrimp. Amano are white/transparent so they wouldn't add much in color flair to the tank but they've got amusing personalities an enjoy exploring the tank.

OP
Marco Rodriguez

Marco Rodriguez

Well Known
NC122606 said:
You might have a problem with the rams and danios temperature wise but...

- A pair of Pearl Gourami
I really suggest these, very interactive, colorful, and fun to watch!

- Trio of Honey Gourami
Beautiful as well

- Solo Angelfish
Might eat your Neon Tetras and might now work with Danios but it could work.
Hi,

Sadly aware of the temperature issue. The zebras were to help cycle the tank and I’ve got nothing to do with them now. It’s set closer to the Ram’s temperature. They seem to be doing alright tho. Wouldn’t the gourami’s not increase Agression and overstock the tank?? I feel like that’s a lot of “big” fish? Plus even tho all the fry keep getting eaten I don’t want to ruin the Apistos baby hatching pattern. Wouldn’t the GouramI aggression affect that?

OP
Marco Rodriguez

Marco Rodriguez

Well Known
Ebreus said:
Have you considered invertebrates at all?
Unless I'm mistaken you've listed pretty peaceful fish and none of them get bigger than about 3 inches, right?
Snails are an ever present and fairly easy option.
Apple/Mystery Snails are quite beautiful and get big enough to not need to search for one in 30 gallons, though you'd need to make sure it has plenty of food or it'll start eating your plants.
Nerites are a smaller colorful option with the added benefit of not eating plants at all.
If the tank already has pest snails or you don't mind feeding it from an external source Assassins are of similar size to Apple/Mystery Snails and also won't eat plants, they're carnivorous snail hunters.
Ramshorn and Malaysian Trumpet snails aren't all that big but they breed easily so there'd be a substantial number of them adding some color to the tank.

Alternatively to gastropods there are arthropods.
Maybe a crab or two. I've kept crabs in my freshwater tank when I was younger and had no real idea what I was doing so they're fairly hearty to have stayed alive. Wish I could be more specific but I don't recall what they were called.
If you don't mind something a bit more fragile you could check in the shrimp section if anything you've listed is known to devour Amano Shrimp. Amano are white/transparent so they wouldn't add much in color flair to the tank but they've got amusing personalities an enjoy exploring the tank.
Hi,

I have actually have a singular pest snail. I’ve had them before and normally I know 1 means I have like 17 but I rly can only find the one. Don’t rly know how or why or where he came from. I assume the plants. But I'm a fan of him. My make apisto is pretty large. Shrimp would definitely be a midnight snack but I looove the crab idea. Would he need access to the surface?

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Marco Rodriguez said:
Hi,

Currently running a 30 gallon tank in my room with an aqueon 30 and penn plax cascade 400.
a BN Pleco
a pair of Blue Rams
8 Neon Tetra
8 LF Zebra Danios

I think you are pretty good and full stock wise.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
The only thing I can see is possibly rehoming the danios (bc of temp compatibility) and getting more neons or a different school of tetra or raspora. Lots of different colors and shapes of tetra to choose from. Maybe a different tetra then neon because you are lucky to get healthy ones (and also prefer cooler temps) but they do love a huge school and are more active and act more natural the larger the group. But apart from that, I also think you are pretty stocked up.

NC122606

Well Known
Marco Rodriguez said:
Hi,

Sadly aware of the temperature issue. The zebras were to help cycle the tank and I’ve got nothing to do with them now. It’s set closer to the Ram’s temperature. They seem to be doing alright tho. Wouldn’t the gourami’s not increase Agression and overstock the tank?? I feel like that’s a lot of “big” fish? Plus even tho all the fry keep getting eaten I don’t want to ruin the Apistos baby hatching pattern. Wouldn’t the GouramI aggression affect that?
Yeah it might be, a nice pair of killifish might be your best bet if you wanted to add more. (aphyosemion australe)

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
NC122606 said:
Yeah it might be, a nice pair of killifish might be your best bet if you wanted to add more. (aphyosemion australe)
Wow, never knew about this killifish. Surprisingly it is not an annual species. I have kept clown killifish and they are awesome, but pretty tiny. They hang at the very surface most of the time. Good suggestion!

Ebreus

Well Known
Marco Rodriguez said:
Hi,

I have actually have a singular pest snail. I’ve had them before and normally I know 1 means I have like 17 but I rly can only find the one. Don’t rly know how or why or where he came from. I assume the plants. But I'm a fan of him. My make apisto is pretty large. Shrimp would definitely be a midnight snack but I looove the crab idea. Would he need access to the surface?
Just did a bit of checking and I'm reasonably certain that they don't need access to the surface, and that the crabs I had when I was younger are Fiddler Crabs. Very cute little critters.
Of course check the care requirements of any specific species that piques your interest to make sure they're getting everything they need.

Tuesday

That's pretty full stock for a 30 gallon. Keep that in mind when adding fish.

Ebreus

Well Known
FinalFins said:
fiddler crabs need brackish water I think.
I'm finding inconsistent sources for this. Some sources are listing them as freshwater and some say they need brackish. I know the crabs I had were living in strait up freshwater with tetras, guppies, and other hearty tropical fish... and now I'm wondering how well they were actually living.

In any case I am finding several other crabs listed as being freshwater so the option of freshwater crabs does appear to exist.

OP
Marco Rodriguez

Marco Rodriguez

Well Known
Woah! This blew up while I was away. I’ll be sure to look into rehoming the zebras and getting maybe a Rasbora school

New Threads