Getting my first tattoo....

1. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

...... on Thursday!!!! :;toast I am soooo excited. It is going to be a large floral back piece. I will be doing getting the outline and shading done on Thursday and then getting the color done in a second session at the end of the month. I have been waiting for this for so long, but now that the day is close I am getting a bit nervous. I am so afraid that the pain is going to be too much and I don't really know what to expect. I know lots of members here have tattoos... Would anyone be willing to share some tips or give me an idea of what to expect? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Kate

2. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Congrats, Kate! Hope to see some photos of it once you get it :) I wish I knew about the pain but it'll be another year till I get my own. haha Best of luck!

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Congratulations! I got mine (cough) many (cough) years ago.
    It's on my hip. Not to scare you but going over the hip bone hurt.

4. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

My wife has just had a back piece done and a roseary on her ankle and foot. I have a full tribal and jap sleeve. I'm sorry to be the voice of bad news but they hurt.(but they are worth it). Don't drink alcohol before because it makes you bleed more but drink coke or something with a lot of sugar in it as this helps with the adrenaline that your body will use to fight the pain. You might also feel a little light headed after as well, this is normal,as i said it's a shock to the body. Good luck

Nick

5. namehater Well Known Member Member

ive got a few ink spots on me... left forearm is sleeved, have a tatt on my upper right arm, and a couple more on the inside of my right forearm. from my experience, anything done over a muscled part doesnt hurt at all. the only time i recall feeling much pain is when the needle is going over parts that have lots of veins underneath the skin or where bone is right under the skin.

choose your piece wisely and the pain will not bother you at all, its totally worth it in the long run.

6. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

ouch....why don't you just do one with colored magic markers? I won't tell and no one will know!!!

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Very good advice. Also choose the location wisely. Now that I'm (cough) a tad older (cough) I'm glad I chose the spot I did.

8. bigreddog Member Member

I found witha backpiece it will only hurt for a minute then your endorphins kick in and the rest is easy. Good luck let us knowhow it goes.:;toast

9. Robin4 Member Member

Hello MissMTS,

I have a tattoo on my back that is of flowers from my right shoulder to my left hip. Cherry blossoms. It looks as if they are cascading down my back. I love them....

In my experience, the pain is not like the pain you feel with a paper cut. I found it to be more of an annoying pain. The needle bares down on your skin and after a while you get tired of it but it doesn't feel like your skin is ripping off! I never felt lightheaded nor sick to my stomach.

When you really really want the tattoo, you are willing to put up with the temporary pain :)

Robin

10. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks so much for the replies everyone :)

I have been wanting a tattoo for years and I am so excited to finally get one. I know that it will hurt (needles, duh, lol) but I just want to know how bad. I don't have a huge pain threshold so I am just hoping that it will be bearable so that I can get through the process.

Since its on my back, I will be able to cover it for work and for special occasions if I need to. The flowers are going to be pink roses, daffodils, and forgetmenots with butterflies.

Thanks for the advise about the coke! I will make sure to bring some, usually I drink diet soda, but it sounds like this will be an occasion to go for the real sugar.

Ted, lol, magic markers...... that would look great ;)

Lucy, you sure are coughing a lot, do we need to send you to a doctor :p

11. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

How fun for you Kate!!. I'll be waiting on pics!. Honestly I think you will do just fine. You understand that it will hurt so your not expecting no pain..lol. I think some people do. :p
    It is more of an annoyance then anything and it just seems like it takes forever but once its done it doesn't seem so bad. I took a pack of chewing gum with me and just chomped the heck out of it...lol. Try not to smack it though. Wouldn't want to annoy the artist..lol. It helped keep my mind off it and also if you take someone with you it helps because you can talk and get your mind off of it that way..It's kinda like running on the treadmill, you just need to do whatever you can to make the time go by faster. :;laughing

12. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks Cesch! I'll be sure to post pics afterwards. That's a great idea about the gum. Unfortunately my husband has to work, so I have to bear it alone, lol. I have heard that the guys at the place where I am getting it done are really nice and lots of fun, so hopefully they'll be able to distract me a bit. I was also thinking of maybe bringing a book since I'll be laying on my stomach... I don't know if reading is really possible during the process though.

13. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

Yup it is. I would say bring it just in case!. I manage to read while on my treadmill so I'd think you could do it. Sorry your hubby can't be there but I'm sure the guys that work there know how to chat it up!!. Good luck!.

14. Shadowbeam Member Member

Hey, congrats on deciding to get your first tattoo! It's true that tattoo's ont he bone hurt more, mine were on my ankle and back of my wrist and i found a huge difference in the pain. On your back shouldn't be too bad.

The pain is a bearable pain and once you get over the initial shock of it, it's easier to deal with. I found the outline hurt more, but some people say the shading lol.

I'm trying to think how to describe it, I guess its like a hot pain...yeah I'm not very good.

I second the gum idea btw, it's a great way to keep your mind off it!

The best advice I can give is really really take good care of your tattoo afterwards! Iv'e seen where people neglect aftercare....

Loads of luck to you and i can't wait to see pics!

15. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Oh wow can't wait to hear how it goes!
    Congrats!

16. namehater Well Known Member Member

im not sure if your a music type of person, but ive seen tons of people listening to an ipod or something while getting ink, maybe theres something to that.

17. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats!!
    I have one on my hip & I don't think it hurt at all. It's just like an annoying pulsing feeling & the skin gets irritated. The shading to me felt good, it was just the outline that pinched a little.

18. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

I have a parrot on my right arm from my shoulder to my elbow. While I was having it done the artist would take a HOT soapy rag from time to time and rub my arm with it. It felt soooooooo good :) Although it hurt a bit it wasn't a pain that I couldn't endure.
    Enjoy!
    Ken