Getting My First Fish Tomorrow!

m.b

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i'm so excited!! i've been cycling my first tank and it's a 10g with silk plants and a nice cozy hide that's been sanded down to prevent fin-snags. FINALLY it has the right parameters so i'm getting my first fish tomorrow!! i'm planning on getting a white opal betta, but any other type of betta is fine too. i'm so happy!!

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Good luck!

I would choose the betta that calls the most to you.

I really wanted a koi betta, and I ended up with a nice double halfmoon male that just called to me.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Few things when picking a betta, make sure he or she’s got spunk! Otherwise you could end up with a sick fish unless you want to nurse them back to health. I would alway stock my finger tip in the water and how they reacted to it was my deciding factor.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If they are in cups and you can’t stick your fingers in(like me), then I would try to lift the cup and look at them. Look for signs of external parasites of anything that looks irregular. I would also bring a LED flashlight to get a better view of the fish.

m.b

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
2211Nighthawk said:
Few things when picking a betta, make sure he or she’s got spunk! Otherwise you could end up with a sick fish unless you want to nurse them back to health. I would alway stock my finger tip in the water and how they reacted to it was my deciding factor.
that’s true!! a few weeks ago i saw one that was swimming around in its little cup and flaring at me and i was like “that’s a good boy right there”

75g Discus Tank said:
If they are in cups and you can’t stick your fingers in(like me), then I would try to lift the cup and look at them. Look for signs of external parasites of anything that looks irregular. I would also bring a LED flashlight to get a better view of the fish.
the girl at my lfs is very knowledgeable about bettas and would let me know if there was anything wrong, but even then i’m going to bring a flashlight, thank you!

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can’t wait either! Pics pics pics! Congratulations!
And I let the fish pick me. (Usually the most pitiful looking ones in the store so I get to try to save them) so don’t do as I do.

Georgie Girl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
m.b said:
i'm so excited!! i've been cycling my first tank and it's a 10g with silk plants and a nice cozy hide that's been sanded down to prevent fin-snags. FINALLY it has the right parameters so i'm getting my first fish tomorrow!! i'm planning on getting a white opal betta, but any other type of betta is fine too. i'm so happy!!
Woot! Best of luck in picking your new bud. They have such great personalities. You're going to love it. Please post pics!

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love bettas (I have three). Be sure to keep the water temp around 78-80 degrees and don't overfeed. They can be pigs.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom