Getting My First Car

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fissh said:
That looks like a hard core dirt bike!!!
That's my enduro bike. I used to do that trip with a bunch of guys. Mostly sport touring and adventure bikes but that year my KTM 950 was waiting for parts so I hauled my dirt bike with sumo setup down there. I would slow down to about 35mph on the straights and they still couldn't keep up .

HORNET1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Proof.ashx.png

Well, since this appears to be our car thread...Here's a pic of my little yellow roadster.
IMG_20170812_172158616_1_2.jpg

aharonhakohen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This was my third car, but for some reason I have fond memories of it.

1981 Chevy Chevette. 4-spd. 1.something litre engine - It went 0-60 in under 10...minutes.

6a0105355ab3fc970b010537015dc3970c-610x316.jpg

Ilovebarbslol

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone
I’ve had my car for about 2 weeks.
I got it for free. I swearrr
My boss gave it to me. It’s a 2002 Toyota Camry.
I did all the things I should. Got insurance. Put the car in my name. Order certain things for It Etc etc

I know mostly everybody on this post has been driving for years. But I’m kinda happy I could get up n go anywhere
I want to get a auto start installed. So I could start my car from indoors to warm up the car n engine before I pull out
I’ve spend thousands on uber since I moved from Brooklyn. So I’m happy about that

Hope everyone is having a bless day. Stay warm. And enjoy the weekend!!

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats!!!

I have a Viper v5704 alarm/remote start on my truck. It has a 1 mile range and the remote is 2-way and rechargeable. 2way tells me if my truck has started or is locked/unlocked and can tell me the interior temp. The range is very good to excellent depending on obstacles between you and your car. Having a rechargeable battery in the remote was a huge plus as 2way remotes need new batteries every month or two. I charge my remote every 4-6 weeks and it takes less than an hour.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ilovebarbslol said:
Thanks everyone
I got it for free. I swearrr
My boss gave it to me. It’s a 2002 Toyota Camry.
I did all the things I should. Got insurance. Put the car in my name. Order certain things for It Etc etc

I know mostly everybody on this post has been driving for years. But I’m kinda happy I could get up n go anywhere
I want to get a auto start installed. So I could start my car from indoors to warm up the car n engine before I pull out
I’ve spend thousands on uber since I moved from Brooklyn. So I’m happy about that

Hope everyone is having a bless day. Stay warm. And enjoy the weekend!!
I’m the exact opposite. I gave my car away to my sister-in-law when I moved to Manhattan from living in NJ. So I’m here visiting today and it appears as if she’s been in a lot of little accidents o_O. Oh well. Not my problem.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aharonhakohen said:
This was my third car, but for some reason I have fond memories of it.

1981 Chevy Chevette. 4-spd. 1.something litre engine - It went 0-60 in under 10...minutes.

View attachment 387411
I had one of these - this is how it looked (the british version called Vauxhall Chevette 1.3L).

Chevette 1.3 L (2).jpg

It was a 1984 and I bought it in 1988 and had it 4 years. In truth its the only car I owned I didn't like. I kept the girl though. We just celebrated our 30th anniversary.

My first car cost only £50. It was a proper mini 1973 850cc 33hp and it was a hoot. The feeling of freedom was immense!

The feel of the controls and the road was exquisite and unmatched by anything else I have driven. It was well past its sell-by date though so I had to fix it every other weekend so it taught me mechanics too!

HORNET1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ilovebarbslol said:
Thanks everyone
CONGRATULATIONS !!!
If you keep up with recommended maintenance, that Toyota Camry is practically bulletproof.
Be safe and enjoy the ride.

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If it hasn't been suggested yet, I'd suggest getting a dash cam (especially as a new driver)

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd agree that the Toyota Camry is a very good and reliable car and a rather surprising and excellent first car (most people here start with very small economical cars).

It did not sell well here as it was considered too conservative and German brands now dominate this size sector of the market (despite these being far less reliable than Japanese brands according to warranty companies).

However, the point I'd like to make is that all old cars wear out and develop age-related problems in the structure, electrics, engine, suspension, gears and various other systems.

So it doesn't matter so much how good or reliable a car was when it was new. Its all about the condition it is in today.

Ilovebarbslol

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Every one

@kayla.s Yes I’ve consider getting a dash cam . My co worker has one. I actually help Him jnstall it..

@HORNET1
True. I’ve heard good reviews about it. I plan to keep it in a decent condition. I don’t know mind spending money to get it fix or updated or in check.

@Redshark1. Thanks. It’s in good condition. V6. Sunroof. Etc
I willing to spend to keep it decent shape
Nice car
Lol @ you kept the girl tho
Yes I’m willing to get down n dirty under the car when summer time arrives

libby2999

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I personally love toyota avalon. Small and good safety. Also smaller cars generaly have better gas milage than larger ones. Keep in mind the kind of driving and roads you'll be on.

My biggest tip is learn how to do basic things yourself, regarsless of what kind of car you have. Like changing tires, air in tres, checking oil, changing breaKS (really not that hard), replacing bulbs ect. Small little things that repair shops charge a lot for. Oh and if you live in an area that gets snow get good tires. It could save your life.

NightShade

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just replaced my brakes, rotors and will do my calipers next. My 2006 Xterra has been very dependable for going on 12 yrs. I need to find someone to remove the rust on the undercarriage next as well. But it's always good to have brakes in top condition!

Veno said:
My first car was a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT, it had its problems so I suppose this is a fitting end.. Darn thing would stall on me, had no working AC (loads of fun in the summertime) and an occasionally working radio.
Yup. Got my 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse new, and it had started crapping out on me riiigght around the time the 3-year warranty was up o_O

Clutch plate gave out on me in the pouring rain... busy road, (of course) then had to drive it (what would normally take) 45 min down the interstate in 2nd gear *facepalm*. I finally managed to shimmy it into 3rd about a third of the way there. I had to take it back to original dealer. That was one of the many (not fun) things that fun little car threw at me... traded it for my Xterra. That eclipse was a fun little stick shift though! ❤

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom