Getting My First Car

BluMan1914

Well Known Member
Messages
2,207
Reaction score
1,062
Points
158
Experience
More than 10 years
MattS99 said:
If Youtube was around back then I swear it would've been viral
I wish I had a video of that. Imagine me trying to explain to someone how a drunk on a bicycle hit me, while sitting at a red light.
 

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,072
Reaction score
6,100
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
I learned to drive manual when I was 14 in my friend's mom's rabbit convertible. His parents went away on vacation and left him at home .

When I was 15, I taught my sister how to drive manual in a Lotus Esprit. It was my dad's friend's son's car.
 

KakeHugs

Well Known Member
Messages
662
Reaction score
273
Points
88
Experience
5 to 10 years
@Ilovebarbslol
My uncle gave me my first car for free and really it's worth maybe $500 and I believe a new driver should get a cheaper older car. He gave me a car that's missing handles and everything, but it works. I THINK it's a 2001 Prizm.
My friend has had her license as long as me (which is like around 2 years?) and she's gotten into at least half a dozen accidents already. So don't worry about anything fancy for awhile. Just something safe because you are still learning.
Less than six months after my uncle gifted me the car, which was a little over a year ago now, I went and got my aunt's Mustang. So I may be bias but I think everyone needs a Mustang(; ...just... wait a few months

EDIT: May I add, my friends accidents were like, DESTROYING the car. Not a fender bender by all means
 

aharonhakohen

Valued Member
Messages
307
Reaction score
126
Points
83
Experience
1 year
After that Bonneville, I had a '86 Sentra, then a 4-speed '81 Chevette. Ever since then I have always owned at least one manually tranny vehicle.
 

BluMan1914

Well Known Member
Messages
2,207
Reaction score
1,062
Points
158
Experience
More than 10 years
DarkOne said:
Now that is a car the OP should get. Friend of mine owned one as well, it was his second car that he used to go to work, instead of taking his Volvo. Now that thing was a tank, especially the engine. He put that car to the test, and drove it hard, and it kept asking for more.
Too bad it caught on fire. I don't know....again don't ask.
 

aharonhakohen

Valued Member
Messages
307
Reaction score
126
Points
83
Experience
1 year
KakeHugs said:
@Ilovebarbslol
My uncle gave me my first car for free and really it's worth maybe $500 and I believe a new driver should get a cheaper older car. He gave me a car that's missing handles and everything, but it works. I THINK it's a 2001 Prizm.
My friend has had her license as long as me (which is like around 2 years?) and she's gotten into at least half a dozen accidents already. So don't worry about anything fancy for awhile. Just something safe because you are still learning.
Less than six months after my uncle gifted me the car, which was a little over a year ago now, I went and got my aunt's Mustang. So I may be bias but I think everyone needs a Mustang(; ...just... wait a few months

EDIT: May I add, my friends accidents were like, DESTROYING the car. Not a fender bender by all means
With all due respect, your friend is either really unlucky, or should get a bus pass.
 

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,912
Reaction score
7,352
Points
598
Experience
Just started
KakeHugs said:
@Ilovebarbslol

EDIT: May I add, my friends accidents were like, DESTROYING the car. Not a fender bender by all means
A lot of little accidents I sorta get. I know someone like that, but holy batman. She's lucky to be alive and hasn't killed anyone yet.
 

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,143
Reaction score
5,010
Points
298
Experience
More than 10 years
shiv234 said:
I was wondering since you said you aren't good with turning....i got nothing against people who can't drive but in my family the ladies can't drive to save their lives
In the world, women get better insurance rates because they drive more carefully than guys like me. Data kills prejudice...

Back to anecdotes. I have driven a few older Toyotas. They are simple cars, nothing fancy but reliable, Repair costs can be a fear with a second hand car when you aren't rich, and for that the 3 Toyotas I've had have been tanks. Friends with Hondas report the same thing. I replaced my 1998 with a 2008 3 years ago, and, knock on wood, each has been as good as the other.
My second Toyota outlasted the Ford I bought to replace it by 4 years. I got 16 years out of that car with very few problems beyond ordinary maintenance. I'm clearly not into sexy prestige cars. I mean, you could go for a Lamborghini...
I've had a Ford and a Chevrolet, and both lived at the garage. Repair-wise, they were expensive, time wasting and unreliable, though admittedly I am going off a small sample. I would never ever buy another to test whether they were both exceptions to the rule - from other drivers I work with, they weren't.
Trucks seem really popular in the States, but if you are urban, they aren't the most convenient to park, or the cheapest to run.

One important factor - it must be able to carry large aquariums. A hatchback is a good idea for that.
 

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,173
Reaction score
5,607
Points
463
Experience
4 years
Been driving since i was young, the best tip I have is when you buy your insurance, shop around a LOT. Get multiple quotes, the number one thing I have learned is book the insurance to start in a month, dont purchase it to start on the same day, in the uk insurance companys are pure opportunists, I saved £300 by not buying it to start on the same or next day. I insured a 2.0 mazda 3 sport for the same price as my friends were insuring little 1.0 box cars 3 years ago, its all a game, get good at playing them before they play you lol.
 

abcdefghi

Valued Member
Messages
462
Reaction score
270
Points
78
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gala said:
Older trucks are just tougher in my opinion..
Luckily, that's just an opinion, facts show otherwise....

Bigger and older does not equate to better safety.
 

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Messages
1,104
Reaction score
733
Points
148
Experience
5 years
abcdefghi said:
Luckily, that's just an opinion, facts show otherwise....

Bigger and older does not equate to better safety.
I hit my dad's truck one time backing out of the driveway (back when he owned the 2012) and it got messed up pretty bad, I just lost a headlight, he couldn't even put gas in his truck. I think it depends on the care and that's been done and the material the vehicle is made out of and the speed of the crash, I have no idea how fast that truck was going. Reading some of the comments on the video makes me feel a little more sane lol.
Yeah the newer trucks are safer with the accordion folding and airbags and stuff, but I wanted a cheap, old truck that didn't have wires or Bluetooth or anything. I wanted a truck that could take a few hits without folding in on itself. I don't trust newer vehicles because of all the confusing work and malfunctions. I picked a truck that would be easiest for my dad to help me work on. I like and support the purchase of older vehicles and no one is gonna change my mind on that no matter how many facts or videos y'all have.
 

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Messages
13,526
Reaction score
9,824
Points
758
Experience
More than 10 years
Our best vehicle right now is a 95 ford ranger with a wooden box. Paid $1000 2 years ago. So far just tires, brakes and an alternator. Ive got a 2004 f250 6.0 diesel its been a lawn ornament more than its been a truck. Lol
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #55

Ilovebarbslol

Well Known Member
Messages
1,389
Reaction score
359
Points
118
Good night. Thanks to everyone who comment
I’ve been home for about a week n half. Due to falling from a ladder.
So I went back to work today and everybody showed love esp my boss.
After talking for 20 mins he asked about the results on my road test.
I told him i passed n he smiled n said congrats then proceed to tell me about the car he will give me.
No charge!!
It’s a 2001 Toyota Camry. Sliver with 89,000 miles.
It will be my first car and hopefully everything will go smooth!
I know many people had their lisence for yearsssss so Am the rookie on the post!
It’s never too late or you never too old to learn n be good at something!
 

KakeHugs

Well Known Member
Messages
662
Reaction score
273
Points
88
Experience
5 to 10 years
aharonhakohen said:
With all due respect, your friend is either really unlucky, or should get a bus pass.
scarface said:
A lot of little accidents I sorta get. I know someone like that, but holy batman. She's lucky to be alive and hasn't killed anyone yet.
To be honest, YES.
I have a minute and a half video someone took of them holding up traffic because they crashed their car. Just their car, no signs of how. I am still amazed, however, I am not taking rides with them driving thank you very much. Freaking terrifies me.
 

MattS99

Well Known Member
Messages
3,155
Reaction score
1,693
Points
123
Experience
More than 10 years
Ilovebarbslol said:
Good night. Thanks to everyone who comment
I’ve been home for about a week n half. Due to falling from a ladder.
So I went back to work today and everybody showed love esp my boss.
After talking for 20 mins he asked about the results on my road test.
I told him i passed n he smiled n said congrats then proceed to tell me about the car he will give me.
No charge!!
It’s a 2001 Toyota Camry. Sliver with 89,000 miles.
It will be my first car and hopefully everything will go smooth!
I know many people had their lisence for yearsssss so Am the rookie on the post!
It’s never too late or you never too old to learn n be good at something!
Good for you! Go out and enjoy it
 

Prism

Well Known Member
Messages
1,427
Reaction score
477
Points
278
Experience
5 years
(I don’t know why I’m posting here)
I’m not even close to driving, hehe.

My mom has a GMC 2017 Car.
I like it, it drives smooth and quiet.
 

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Messages
13,526
Reaction score
9,824
Points
758
Experience
More than 10 years
Smooth and quiet takes all the fun out of it. Lol. The wife's danger ranger has the exhaust laying in front of the garage and my truck just has a 4 inch straight pipe it sounds like a jet taking off. Lol. I don't think our neighbors like us.
 

aharonhakohen

Valued Member
Messages
307
Reaction score
126
Points
83
Experience
1 year
Ilovebarbslol said:
Good night. Thanks to everyone who comment
I’ve been home for about a week n half. Due to falling from a ladder.
So I went back to work today and everybody showed love esp my boss.
After talking for 20 mins he asked about the results on my road test.
I told him i passed n he smiled n said congrats then proceed to tell me about the car he will give me.
No charge!!
It’s a 2001 Toyota Camry. Sliver with 89,000 miles.
It will be my first car and hopefully everything will go smooth!
I know many people had their lisence for yearsssss so Am the rookie on the post!
It’s never too late or you never too old to learn n be good at something!
Great car. I know of 2001 Camrys with 200k+. Happy and safe driving!
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom