Getting My First Car

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gala said:
Well I can tell you that if my truck slammed head first into a small car, they'd probably be dead and I'd have a few broken bones. Our whole family drives trucks for that reason, and I think my truck is compact enough in the front with the suicide doors to be safe enough. Older trucks are just tougher in my opinion. My parents trucks are a 2012 Dodge and a 2016 Ford (plus like 3-5 Jeeps, depending on when he's buying/working/selling...mom hates it lol), my dad does all the work on them, he helped me pick out the truck and that was one of the things he pointed out.
Yeah but most cars on the road are trucks or SUVs now.

For the record, I drive a '10 Ford F150 with +1 size tires (33"). I've worked on my own cars and trucks for 30+ yrs. My BIL used to own an auto repair shop and I would borrow a bay to do major work on my vehicles, usually engine or suspension. I used to track a M3 years ago.

scarface said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the car size and parking. Get the car you want. Size really doesn't matter.
That's what guys with small cars say

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ilovebarbslol said:
Lol that’s what she told you
Lol jp
I don’t want a huge ford truck like the raptor but I also don’t want a fiat
I might get a sedan
Me neither. I prefer luxury cars. I like the comfort. But I drove fuel trucks, tankers, transports in the army. Makes little difference in my opinion.

Ilovebarbslol

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes hopefully I get a good deal
I can’t manage to be car less for couple more months

That’s a good car you Have. Seems like fun to drive .
I agree,I basically want to safe n not worry about fixing things every other week.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DarkOne said:

For the record, I drive a '10 Ford F150 with +1 size tires (33"). I've worked on my own cars and trucks for 30+ yrs. My BIL used to own an auto repair shop and I would borrow a bay to do major work on my vehicles, usually engine or suspension. I used to track a M3 years ago.

Lol I deserved that. I should reread what I write before posting lol.

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
DarkOne said:

Pfft not where I live lol (or any big city) small cars must be cheap in my part of central Florida, the only people that I know who own trucks and SUVs down here are FFA/4H kids and anyone involved with livestock, even then my FFA advisor drove a car that was so low to the ground in the back from bags of feed over the years. It was pretty funny lol.

And that's awesome! Usually my dad just uses a cluttered garage and a lot of spare tools and jacks. The people at a few AutoZones know him now lol. I remember my mom said what first made her love him was the fact that he had an engine hanging from a tree since he didn't have anything else to lift it with lol.

BluMan1914

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My suggestion is that you get yourself a used Toyota Camry. It's nothing to look at, bland and boring to drive.
Buuuuttt, they are well built, engine is rock solid, good gas mileage, should not be too expensive when you get insurance, plus they keep their resale value.

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I mean, get what you want within reason.

This may sound incredibly stupid, but make sure the car feels good (to you) when you're driving it and make sure you're comfortable in it. Take it out for a test drive if you can. I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm driving I need the steering wheel to feel exactly right (in my own mind) to drive the car. I could've inherited a 2004ish Audi with really low milage for free but I couldn't stand the wheel.

aharonhakohen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DarkOne said:

I drive a Ford E350 as my main vehicle (built like the F-series). My "fun" vehicle is my '96 Bronco (my profile pic). It's got a 4" lift with 33's

I am a good, cautious driver, but who knows if the guy next to me is. Nothing is full proof, but I definitely feel safer in a larger, mostly steel vehicle.

But with the OP's budget, I would definitely recommend a more traditional sedan, than a suv. You have to take in to account maintenance costs, as well. For a $3000 vehicle, I would estimate on average, spending around $300-500/year on maintenance. (i.e. alternator, starter, brakes, spark plugs, tires, etc.)

BluMan1914

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MattS99 said:
could've inherited a 2004ish Audi with really low milage for free but I couldn't stand the wheel.
I would've jumped all over that. And if I ended up not wanting it, I would sell it. Win win.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BluMan1914 said:
My suggestion is that you get yourself a used Toyota Camry. It's nothing to look at, bland and boring to drive.
Buuuuttt, they are well built, engine is rock solid, good gas mileage, should not be too expensive when you get insurance, plus they keep their resale value.
I would agree. A Toyota or Honda in your price range would probably the least headache to own.

The only reason I have a pickup is because I used to race enduros (dirt bikes) and I was getting tired of hauling a trailer every weekend. I usually keep my vehicles for 6+ years so I always buy new. It's nice to have 4wd in the winters though.

Doing track events and autocrossing taught me to be aware of my surroundings and it turned into habits. I've never been in a car accident in 30+ yrs of driving (knock on wood).

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BluMan1914 said:
I would've jumped all over that. And if I ended up not wanting it, I would sell it. Win win.
It's my grandfather's car and he loved it, I would never sell it on him. He's technically legally blind so he can't drive. He ended up just letting my grandmother keep it and they sold their Lexus.

There's also a long history of car theft/vandalism near my local high school and that car would have put a huge target on me.

HORNET1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Are you planning to finance or pay cash?

The Honda Civic is my recommendation. Insurance rates are reasonable and if properly maintained, the Civic can go for well over 250,000 miles without any issues. As one of the most popular cars in the world, spares are easy to come by and repairs are relatively affordable. And, being popular means that there is large aftermarket support for the car, so you can personalize your Civic to your liking for not a lot of money.

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DarkOne said:
I would agree. A Toyota or Honda in your price range would probably the least headache to own.

The only reason I have a pickup is because I used to race enduros (dirt bikes) and I was getting tired of hauling a trailer every weekend. I usually keep my vehicles for 6+ years so I always buy new. It's nice to have 4wd in the winters though.

Doing track events and autocrossing taught me to be aware of my surroundings and it turned into habits. I've never been in a car accident in 30+ yrs of driving (knock on wood).
Lol. And I hit a freaking PARKED CAR on my first time driving alone. Of course their car was fine. I managed to rip off my front bumper...

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MattS99 said:
Lol. And I hit a freaking PARKED CAR on my first time driving alone. Of course their car was fine. I managed to rip off my front bumper...
My dad would put me on his lap and let me drive when I was about 7 yrs old. When I got too big, I sat next to him ('70 Olds 98 with bench seat). When I was 11 yrs old, he took me to an empty parking lot and taught me how to drive. I started sneaking out the car at 12 yrs old.

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DarkOne said:
My dad would put me on his lap and let me drive when I was about 7 yrs old. When I got too big, I sat next to him ('70 Olds 98 with bench seat). When I was 11 yrs old, he took me to an empty parking lot and taught me how to drive. I started sneaking out the car at 12 yrs old.
Yeah, that would've never happened for me lol.

I waited about 5 months after I was 16 to get my permit. My parents didn't want to pay for both twins at once and they flat-out told me they trusted my sister more to drive. Well, my sister failed her driving exam a few times and I ended up getting my license months before her anyway.

BluMan1914

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MattS99 said:
And I hit a freaking PARKED CAR on my first time driving alone.
That's nothing.
My very first car was a brand spanking new, 1991 Plymouth Laser with only 10 miles on it when I pulled out of the dealership. I only had the car for a week, and someone that was drunk, on a bicycle, in the middle of the road, swerving, swerved head on to my car. Their body hit my hood, windshield, rolled over the top of the roof. The bicycle went over the hood, and onto my roof.
The worst part of it was that, I was at a red light and was helpless to do anything watch the guy actually turn tight into me, and hit me.
Well maybe that is not the worst part....my insurance went throw the roof, and they ended up paying him 10 grand. What did I get? Not a .... thing but a severely damaged car, and higher insurance.

aharonhakohen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BluMan1914 said:
That's nothing.
My very first car was a brand spanking new, 1991 Plymouth Laser with only 10 miles on it when I pulled out of the dealership. I only had the car for a week, and someone that was drunk, on a bicycle, in the middle of the road, swerving, swerved head on to my car. Their body hit my hood, windshield, rolled over the top of the roof. The bicycle went over the hood, and onto my roof.
The worst part of it was that, I was at a red light and was helpless to do anything watch the guy actually turn tight into me, and hit me.
Well maybe that is not the worst part....my insurance went throw the roof, and they ended up paying him 10 grand. What did I get? Not a .... thing but a severely damaged car, and higher insurance.
5-spd or automatic?

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BluMan1914 said:
That's nothing.
Now that's a tough break. I also laughed way harder than I probably should have. If Youtube was around back then I swear it would've been viral

BluMan1914

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Automatic . I know, I know. I just shamed every person who owned a sports car. But in my defense, I never learned how to drive a stick. I tried once while in the Army....and that didn't work out too well. Don't ask.:banghead:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom